Baseball handles Clark, Reagan next

Varsity team prepares for second round matchup up after first round victory

Junior outfielder Eric Reece slides into 3rd base during the teams tournament in Laredo.

Bobby Palomin, Editor

After striking first early in the 1st inning the varsity baseball team was able to cruise to an easy 6-0 victory over Clark High School in their 1st round game.

“ The difference in the game was big innings we scored early in the 1st then had a four run 4th inning,” said senior pitcher Garrett Egli “ We were able to get runs in and get runners moving and that was the difference in the game.”

The team was able to dominate Clark going up by five runs after four innings. A solo homerun in the 5th by Cade Galvan capped off the scoring for the team effectively putting the game out of reach as they went into the last two innings. Aside from the great scoring a dominant pitching performance by senior Ryan Jennings helped the team shutdown any momentum that Clark tried to spur throughout the game. Jennings pitched his first complete shutout of the season as the Clark hitters had no way of hitting him.

The team now focuses their attention to their second round game against the Reagan Rattlers. The two teams met up in the playoffs two years ago with Reagan taking the series in what was a very heated and competitive matchup.

“ Really we want to jump on Reagan early” said Egli “ Their a loud team who likes the chatter and if we can jump on them early we could quiet them down and boost our own confidence.”

The three game series begins on Thursday at San Marcos High School and will go till Saturday if necessary. In the event the series goes to a third game on Saturday it will be played at SAISD Field 1 t 7:00 p.m. The games on Thursday and Friday will begin at 7:30 p.m.