Softball season in review

Varsity softball team finishes with a winning record

Pitcher Presley Smith gets ready to take the mound as the varsity softball team defeated Antonian 3-1 at home on Feb 21.

Lyndsay Reyes

Hudson Murphy, Staff Writer

After a 15-13 regular season record the softball team lost both of its playoff games in a two out of three series against Brennan. The team started the season by winning the first five games it played including the first four games of the Smithson Valley Tournament before losing to Reagan 11-1 in the fifth game of the tournament.

Junior outfielder Maddie Blevins felt the season displayed improvement and believes the team has a great future ahead.

“We had a lot of ups and downs throughout our season but as the season progressed we seemed to get better as a team,” Blevins said, “With us only losing two seniors I see us coming out very strong next year.”

Blevins played the captain role for the team and took it upon herself to lead the younger players on the team.

“I have an amazing relationship with every girl on the team,” Blevins said, “I feel like they respected what I had to say a lot.”

Senior third baseman Haley Padilla felt that the team performed well throughout the season and showed true potential for success as she carries on her career in college at Texas Lutheran University.

“I feel we did pretty well for how young we were,” Padilla said, “Having this season under their belts is going to help them next year.”

As one of the only seniors on the team this year, Padilla has seen potential for greatness in some of the younger players on the team.

“I can see Maddie Blevins leading the team,” Padilla said, “She’s got three years of experience under her belt and she’s a people person. The girls look up to her.”

“Another person that I can see leading is Carissa Vasquez.” Padilla said, “She has so much passion and love for the game that it just flows off of her. I think she’ll be a great one.”

Despite the early exit from the playoffs the team returns 14 players, 11 of whom are only sophomores. With only 2 senior players graduating the team will have the experience necessary to further its playoff run next season.