Conducting the way to autumn

Band members audition for the chance to be one of four chosen to lead the band for the next marching season

Daniel Lackey, Staff Writer

• Sophomore flutist Liana DeLuna poses for the camera post-auditions.

• 2019-2020 drum major Gabi Wilson salutes to the crowd.

• Sophomore french hornist Kaleigh Kirkpatrick readies herself for her showing while sophomore clarinetists Iris Bradbury and Jonathan Nunez view.

• Junior oboist Rachael Waltman leads the group with the alma mater.

• Sophomore percussionist Hadley Thomas concludes her audition with Ranger pride.

• 2019-2020 drum major Lindsay Pattison focuses on her execution as seniors Cade Gibson and Nathaniel Pfahning watch.

• 2019-2020 drum major Maya McBrayer beams at the audience during her audition.

• Tuba players Kenyon Clark, Darius Young, Kyra Schobel, and Josh Davidson blare out the fight song.

• Sophomore tuba players Dalton Wambles and Cole Lienneweber play along with the conductor.

• Junior trumpeter Caroline Kuhn introduces herself to the onlookers.

• Sophomore percussionists Anne Marie Williams and Caitlyn Hermesch prepare for the show.

• Junior percussionists William Yancosek and Mark Olaez swing their arms in time with the alma mater.

• Junior David Garstecki launches his audition with the drum major salute.

• Junior percussionist Nicole Gomez gets her gun up high at the end of her audition.

• Sophomore french hornist stands firm for her audition as sophomore clarinetist Iris Bradbury, sophomore flutist Maya McBrayer, and junior Caroline Kuhn observes.

• The french horns, trumpets, and trombones play through the fight song.

• Sophomore trumpeter Devin Nolan progresses through his audition.

• Sophomore clarinetist Kate Fey undertakes her turn at the podium.

• 2019-2020 drum major Rileigh Mccullough makes her way through her audition.

• Juniors Caroline Kuhn and Rileigh Mccullough decompress prior to auditions while sophomore Maya McBrayer smiles on.

4:10 pm:

The commotion of huddled voices bounce around the band hall as student instrumentalists fill the room soon after the blaring of the last school bell on April 29. Shortly, the time would come for thirteen students to shed the stress and anticipation that had been clinging on to them since initial preparation on April 10.

For a select four, however, a new type of burden will replace the old: leading the entire marching band.

4:45 pm:

The thirteen candidates take their seats. Each one takes advantage of the precious moments they have to themselves before tryouts start by conducting sequences, practicing stances, and reciting what they plan on saying. Head band director Matthew Boening steps up to the podium, provides a brief introduction to the gathered students*, then commences the showdown.

One by one, the candidates stride on over to the front of the hall when their turn arrives. They must exhibit knowledge on how to conduct in three different time signatures with a metronome on top of how to perform the Ranger alma mater and fight song, both of which are played by the spectating students.

5:45 pm:

The thirteenth auditionee closes the first checkpoint. Two more components are left. Next, based on what they witnessed,  the other band members who watched and played are required to rank the candidates from one to thirteen. To end on a high note, the candidates must partake in an interview led by a panel in the conference room in the library. By gauging their responses and conducting skills, as well as the opinions of the players who were present in the hall, the directors’ picks are made.

7:50 pm:

The wait is over. Mr. Boening announces the results to the participants who stayed to find out. The final four students who will conduct the Ranger Band during the 2019-2020 season are:

• Junior Rileigh Mccullough (Tuba)
  • Junior Gabi Wilson (Flute)
  • Sophomore Maya McBrayer (Flute)
  • Sophomore Lindsay Pattison (Flute)

* Band members who are contenders for other leadership roles the band has to offer such section leader, quartermaster, librarian, etc.