Making a state-ment

Six headed to UT May 18

Back to Article
Back to Article

Making a state-ment

Clarissa Hambrick, Jane Uduji, Jezell Shows and Ellen Thompson will compete in the 4X400 at the state track meet.

Ranger Track Rep

Ranger Track Rep

Ranger Track Rep

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

High jumper Jeremiah Gilliam makes another return trip to Austin while pole vaulter Aviana Trinidad sets her sights on gold at the state track meet May 18 at the University of Texas.

They will be joined by the women’s 4×400 relay team – Ellen Thompson, Clarissa Hambrick, Jezell Shows and Jane Uduji – who placed second with a time of 3:56.23 out of 16 qualified teams.

The team, led by seniors Thompson and Uduji, is one of the fastest in the state with record-breaking performances during the district meet.

“We run as a team and count on each other to perform at such a high level,” Uduji said.

They punched their tickets to state by medaling at the region meet Friday and Saturday at Heroes Stadium.

An Incarnate Word commit, Gilliam is no stranger to state competitions as he qualified his sophomore and junior seasons. Gilliam placed first in high jump with a height of 6 feet 9 inches, a new personal and school record. He looks to be the athlete to beat at state as he placed first all year.

Trinidad qualified for state as well by placing third with a height of 12 feet.

Trinidad had early success in her pole vaulting career as she filled the shoes left by Oklahoma track star and former Smithson Valley athlete Colleen Clancy. The junior snared top three finishes all season with a personal best of 12 feet 6 inches during the 6A Area 25-26 Track Meet on April 18.

The boys 4x400m team –  which included Jonathan Connolly, Johnathan Lewis, Jeremiah Gilliam, and Greg Eggleston – placed third overall with a time of 3:21.26. Uduji also placed third in the 400 meter.

About the Writer
Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

Hi, my name is Wyatt Tomallo. I am a senior and the sports editor for the Valley Ventana. I play lacrosse for the high school.