Testing the waters

Yearly physics boat project returns

Junior+Tim+Upton+drys+off+after+a+swim+in+the+ranger+pool+on+Tuesday%2C+May+21.+Students+were+given+free+time+to+play+in+the+water+once+everyone+was+done+testing+their+boat.+

Logan Hoover

Junior Tim Upton drys off after a swim in the ranger pool on Tuesday, May 21. Students were given free time to play in the water once everyone was done testing their boat.

Laney Rendon and Taralynn Gates

Logan Hoover
A group’s boat gives out on them as they try to stay afloat. Senior swimmers stood randomly throughout the pool in case of emergency while juniors tested.
Logan Hoover
A group’s square boat slowly drifts to the other side of the pool while senior swimmer watches from pool. Their boat made it to the very end.

A line of cardboard boats. A pool full of senior life guards. Wary physics teachers. Monday and Tuesday was a moment of truth for some and an expected triumph for others.

The physics boat project and boat race is a yearly event where juniors spend hours on end creating a sustainable float that can keep students dry from one of the pool to the other and back.

“It basically took like five hours the first day,” junior Julia Wells said. “And the other we did it like twelve to two.”

Other groups of students spent significantly less time on their boat.

“I want to say like three hours,” said junior Hannah Marfin.

Regular and AP classes gathered by teacher in either morning, during first through third, or afternoon, fourth through seventh, to test their projects.

When asked about her favorite part, “Not really building it, just hanging out with friends,” was Wells’.

One of her group members, junior Saul Ramirez, waited with her in line to be called to test their month-long project yesterday during second period.

“We just added more support the second day,” Ramirez said.

There were boats that made it, boats that didn’t even last twenty seconds and boats that didn’t even look like boats, but this is a tradition every junior on campus gets to experience and learn from.