New coaches greet players, parents

Julian Fernandez, Sports Writer

Softball, cross country and girls basketball athletes and parents met their new coaches Tuesday in the main gym.

During a meet-and-greet session in the main gym tonight, softball coach Amanda Wolf-Schramm visits with players and their parents.

Amanda Wolf-Schramm, new head softball coach, hails from Elgin High School where she served as the head softball coach since 2008. While at Elgin, she compiled a record of 345-91 and received the University League Sponsor of Excellence Award.

She was named 4A District 17 Coach of the Year, and between 2016 and 2018, all of her players have received Academic All- District. More than 50 of her players received athletic and academic scholarships at the D1, D2, D3, and junior college levels.

After being introduced by Coach Larry Hill, girls basketball coach Matthew Sutherland shakes hands with parent Michelle Grell.

Girls basketball welcomes Matthew Sutherland as the new head coach. Sutherland is originally from Midland Lee High School where he was the assistant girls basketball coach, as well as assistant principal.

Sutherland brought Midland Lee to state playoffs in 2018 and 2019 and made an appearance in regional quarterfinals. Sutherland also brought Midland Lee to the bi-district and area championships where they won in 2018.

Sutherland was previously an assistant for the girl basketball program at the University of Texas Permian Basin, where they compiled a 40-16 record in two years, including a conference championship.

Sutherland also worked as the head boys basketball coach at Poteet High School where he took the team to their first state playoffs appearance in 22 years.

While Coach Nathan Nunley hands out information sheets, cross country coach Trenton Hall introduces himself to the parents and runners.

Cross country’s new head coach, Trenton Hall, comes from Brenham High School where he served as the head boys cross country coach since 2002 and the head girls cross country coach since 2013.

He coached eight team to district titles and received district coach of the year eight times as well. Hall also coached three individuals to state championships and two 5A state records. In 2016, he was selected as the Brenham ISD Teacher of Year.

These three coaches will e holding a metting at 6:00 p.m. in the SVHS Varsity Gym, so you can get the chance to meet them and give them a Ranger welcome they deserve.

Wrestling has had 3 coaches in 3 years due to various reasons, however, Coach Tim Clarkson has been appointed to be the new head wrestling coach.

Also added this spring was wrestling coach Tim Clarkson with 25 years of coaching and teaching experience. He coached wrestling, football, basketball, track, tennis, and even served as an athletic administrator during his tenure of education. Previously, he was head wrestling coach and assistant football coach at Churchill High School.