A night of worship and crickets

Fields of Faith took place on the Wednesday before Homecoming

As juniors Caroline Haeze and Sarah Thorpe attend Fields of Faith, they share a laugh.

Ester Hicks

Emma Siebold, Staff Writer

The football field is washed in the blaring yellow from the stadium lights. Soft guitar chords whisper through the crowd of awaiting worshippers. There is no sound other than the words of Jesus Christ and, of course, the crickets. 

Fields of Faith is a Christian gathering that took place on thousands of football fields across the country on Oct. 9th. Hundreds of people from all over the Smithson Valley area gathered to worship and praise the word of God. Student testimonies were given by seniors who shared how their pain and suffering guided them to a relationship with Christ. 

Members of Community Bible Church Bulverde led the crowd in numerous worship songs, and guest speaker Emma Faye Rudkin gave students a completely different view on what it meant to feel alone. Rudkin’s story of conquering her disability changed the perspectives of the attendees.

A former Miss San Antonio, Rudkin is profoundly deaf. She is a symbol of courage and perseverance, and explained how her relationship with Christ helped her through all of her struggles. Rudkin is the founder of Aid the Silent, a non-profit organization that gives support to deaf children and teens. 

Over 250 people gathered on Wednesday night, and the presence of the Lord gave the stadium life. Hands were lifted, people swayed and praise was given to God.

“I went to Fields of Faith so I could connect to God and grow in my faith,” said freshman Hannah Stemig. “We got to learn about other people’s [journeys]  with him and it was really moving. [I] can’t wait to go again.” 

This is the ninth year of Smithson Valley hosting Fields of Faith, an annual event that takes place about every year in October. The event connects students and leads them to feel loved by Christ and one another.