Thursday night lights

JV football celebrating near perfect season

Grace Collazo

Sophomore Aiden Green (center) stands with his teammates during a timeout. Green and JV Blue are 8-0.

Emma Siebold, Staff Writer

Junior varsity players can only dream of big crowds, televised games and the glare of stadium lights.

However, the Junior Varsity Blue team remains undefeated for the season, and JV white has lost only one game for the entire season – both with better records than their varsity counterparts.

JV White player Austin Waltman said he loved his sophomore season.

“This season is going amazing,” Waltman said. “We’ve been taking names all year and playing really well together. This year is more intense and more serious than last year because we aren’t just freshmen anymore. We’re training to be varsity players next year.”

The team would not have had such a prosperous season without its close bond.

“While we don’t do team bonding activities, the time we all spend talking in the locker room or lunchroom brings us together,” Waltman said. “Our bond helps us play harder and fight not only for ourselves, but for our teammates beside us on the field.”

Both teams were undefeated until Oct. 24 game against Steele. JV White lost a close game, 29-33, and the JV Blue’s game was cancelled during the first quarter because of weather. The next game, JV Blue beat San Marcos Rattlers 65-0. 

Assistant coach Omar Palos said he was impressed with the teams’ play. 

“They have good progressive movements on the ball,” Palos said, “and shaping assertiveness and dominance on both sides of the ball.”