Win over Rattlers fuels Ranger revival

Smithson Valley defeats San Marcos 42-7.

Danielle Esperiqueta

Senior Greg Eggleston receives the ball in last week’s game against Steele. The Rangers lost their game against the Knights 35-10.

Emma Siebold, Staff Writer

By scoring 6 touchdowns against San Marcos High School, the Rangers dominate the Rattlers on the road to playoffs.

Smithson Valley crushed San Marcos 42-7, with fantastic plays by both the offense and defense. After two weeks of struggling, the Rangers were finally able to capitalize in the red zone.

“We played different because we know we have to win these last two games to make it to the playoffs,” said wide receiver Greg Eggleston, who scored 14 points against the Rattlers. “So everybody’s mindset changes and that caused us to play harder, which led to big plays in the red zone.”

Eggleston scored one of his touchdowns on a 75 yard rush, and payed tribute to his offensive line. “All I have to say is good blocking,” said the senior.

The equal strength of both Smithson Valley’s offense and defense was the cause of the conquering of the Rattlers. Quarterback Luke Gombert threw a 39-yard pass to receiver Cooper Douglass, and another 16-yard pass to tight end Chandler Cole. Both passes were touchdown plays.

The Ranger defense was equally dominant on the field. Smithson Valley’s cornerbacks, Jalen Nutt and Cullen Betsey, each caught an interception. Nutt intercepted the ball early in the first eight minutes of the game, and Betsey caught his midway through the second quarter.

The final scoring play  of the game was scored by junior Gabe Hoskins, a second-string running back for the Rangers. Hoskins closed the game with an outside run touchdown.

Though the victory over the Rattlers is sweet, the struggle is far from over. In order to make a playoff appearance, Smithson Valley must beat the New Braunfels Unicorns next week. The Unicorns are 2-4 in district, compared to the Rangers record of 3-3.

This Friday’s win against San Marcos has revived the vigor of the team, and the victory sets up a successful week for the Rangers. Even with the Rattlers’ talented quarterback, Alex Garcia, the Rangers conquered San Marcos High School (on the Rattler’s homecoming game).

With their even record, things are looking up for the Rangers. As playoffs approach, it will be up to the athletes to go as far as they can.

RECENT 26-6A SCORES:

10/31: Judson vs. East Central 49-9

11/1: Clemens vs. New Braunfels 30-20

11/1: Steele vs. Canyon 34-7