Softball starting strong

Sluggers show strength ahead of tournament at home this weekend

Holly Anthony

Newcomer, Ryanne Limon hits at the Alamo Heights Tournament

Tim Tschoepe, Sports Editor

Before the first crack of the bat for this season, head coach Amanda Wolf and assistant coach Shanika Randle rolled onto campus, bringing with them a history of winning at Elgin High School

They replaced longtime and legendary coaches Wayne and Lisa Daigle, who retired after this past season.

The softball team started with a series of scrimmages showcasing returning stars Seneca Anthony and Cassie Blevins, along with returning senior Lauren González and newcomer Ryanne Limon.

In addition to a couple of scrimmages, the team showed its strength in a tournament at Alamo Heights, going 3-0 on the day and looking like the team to beat in the tournament. Pitchers Anthony and Limon looked solid in the preseason games.

The pitching staff has “great depth and is a real strength,” Wolf said.

As for fielding, the hot corner is manned by returning junior Blevins, who made a handful of dazzling plays in the preseason.

At shortstop, senior Lauren Gonzalez and freshman Abby Brand stand out at at turning two, and they can form a Jose Altuve-Carlos Correa type of connection in District 26-6A. Of course, they will be tested by Canyon and New Braunfels.

Manning the outfield is, one of two returning seniors, Sydney Drott. she made a spectacular catch in the scrimmage against Brennen. Also, Savannah Koonts who is a opening her second year at the varsity level. lastly is Lexi Vasquez who is a stellar hitter and outfielder in the roster.

On the hitting side of things, the bats are cracking, and scrimmages saw jaw-dropping numbers in the runs scored column, beating Churchill, Brennan and Alamo Heights.

Look for the speed and leadership of leadoff hitter Gonzalez to fuel the 2-3 duo of Blevins and Lexi Vasquez, and put power hitters Anthony and Maddie MacDougall in the best situations to be successful.

SV Softball
Here is the schedule for the annual Ranger Round Robin tournament this weekend.