Love wins (but also fails)

The pros and cons of “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before: P.S, I still Love You”

TVLine

The anticipated sequel was released on Feb. 12, 2020.

Tatum Tomallo, Staff Writer

My weekend feels incomplete without some variety of an eye-rolling love story or a comedy with a romantic twist with my family. I try to push aside plot holes and unrealistic expectations  and enjoy the film but after watching “To All the Boys I’ve Loved before: P.S,  I Still Love You,” it took a lot more self control to get through it.

This movie is an addition to the already towering high pile of love stories with unrealistic standards held for relationships. To make matters worse, this story is between high schoolers which only brings those with less experience to have assumptions that will only lead to disappointment. Young adult viewers will find themselves not living up to the expectations that movies like this film are pushing them to have.

In this story, the lead protagonist and love interest Lara Jean Covey, played by Lana Condor, feuds with her boyfriend’s ex girlfriend and antagonist, Gen who is played by Emilija Baranac. This enmity between the two young women presents false assumptions of girls being incapable of being romantically interested in the same person while also being able to tolerate the other. This toxic energy presented in this movie adds on to the presumption that female relationships will always have jealousy attached, which simply is not the case in reality. 

The casting of all romantic comedies, especially in this movie is identical in the way that all the characters are traditionally attractive. Viewers compare themselves to these characters but realize they don’t look the way that romantic comedies say they should.

“To All the Boys I’ve Loved before: P.S I still Love You” depicts high school ideas that are far from the truth. Homework, family conflicts and school priorities are completely disregarded and the film gives off the impression that a high school relationship should be prioritized over any other commitment. 

Some pros of the film are, instead of primarily white actors being casted, diversity is embraced in this film through Covey’s Korean background and Peter Kavinsky’s hispanic ethnicity. In addition, Covey, the quirky yet lovable protagonist is shown celebrating her korean heritage in remembrance of her mother who passed away.

In the film, Covey goes through the hardship of losing her mother, leaving her father to raise her and her two sisters on his own. Through Mr. Covey’s journey of grief and acceptance, the movie shows that moving on is important to maintain happiness and live life to the fullest.

This movie can strike a cord with a majority of its viewers. The movie showcases a multitude of topics including loss, bullying, betrayal,  feelings of being an outcast, moving on, a sibling leaving for college and a variety of others.

Romantic comedies have their ups and downs but the genre leaves your heart feeling content while having a smile on your face, and this film is no exception.

There is nothing wrong with watching this film, or any other romantic comedy in your free time, but it’s important to note that not everything is as picture perfect as it may seem. High school on its own can be scary for a good handful of individuals, and finding someone to fall for at this stressful stage in life is no easy feat. “To All the Boys I’ve Loved before: P.S I still Love You” gives the viewer hope that young love does not have to be frightening but can actually be possible.