Black Student Union chapter on way

The first BSU meeting will be held Thursday at 8 a.m.

The Black Student Union will meet every two weeks. All are welcome to attend the meetings.

Black Student Union

Joey Clark, Staff Writer

To promote racial equality at the school, Algebra I teacher and softball coach Shanika Randle will sponsor the Black Student Union, a student-led organization primarily centered around understanding and addressing the cultural, social, and academic needs of African American students on campus. Meetings will occur every two weeks, starting Thursday, at 8 a.m. in the library.

Drawing inspiration from Shalonda Davis’s Black Student Union at Canyon High School, Randle developed Davis’ dream of starting unions at all schools in the district by co-sponsoring a chapter at Smithson Valley with fellow Algebra teacher Lauren Boswell. A Google Meets code to attend the meeting is attainable through emailing Randle.

“I thought about all the benefits of a group such as BSU for all the students at Smithson Valley, and it was a no brainer,” Randle said.

Randle intends for the club to serve as a way to strengthen community and cultural ties and promote learning and understanding. The organization’s purpose is to create a positive environment for African American students in an academic setting as well as educate non-Black students about significant historical and cultural events affecting African Americans today.

“The main goal of the Black Student Union is to foster unity by seeking to educate, to motivate the members to realize their call to be among the successful and to have an opportunity to discuss and search for solutions to current challenges,” Randle said.

The organization also offers opportunities for members to learn skills useful for  post-graduation as well by  emphasizing the importance of attending college and opening  new possibilities for students’ futures.

“We explore career options, invite guest speakers, hold parent nights, and visit local universities,” Randle said.

Students of all walks of life—regardless of race, religious affiliation, or sexual orientation—are welcome to join. 

“I hope that the BSU will not only be a safe space for our Black students, but also a tool to build a bridge to educate and connect all the students of SV,”  Randle said.

Randle encourages students on the fence about attending the first meeting to bring a friend,  and reminds them that while it might be difficult, examining painful past events and seeking to improve oneself is worth doing.

“Growth  and change cannot occur while we are in our comfort zone[s],” Randle said. “[But] the BSU is committed to the development of cross-cultural ties with all groups on campus and in the community at large.”