Elections that matter

Breaking down the candidates running for the 21st and 23rd congressional district

Chloe Presley

More stories from Chloe Presley

With the election coming up tomorrow, students voice their opinions on who should win the presidential title, yet less talk centers on the 21st and 23rd congressional district elections that would directly alter Smithson Valley High School students and the surrounding community.

Taken from the US House of Representatives website: “As per the Constitution, the U.S. House of Representatives makes and passes federal laws. The House is one of Congress’s two chambers, and part of the federal government’s legislative branch. The number of voting representatives in the House is fixed by law at no more than 435, proportionally representing the population of the 50 states.”

Both the 23rd and 21st district elections affect those going to SVHS based on where you live. You can find out what district you are in here.

Based on who wins in the 21st district election, SV’s education system will be dramatically affected based on a difference in policies between the two candidates. Regardless of where you live, students should research the candidates running for office in the 21st district, so they know how their education may be affected. 

For those living in the 21st district, here are the candidates you should look at:

Wendy Davis

Political Party: Democrat

Policies:

• Believes every American should have access to health care
  • Strengthening social security and Medicare
  • Wants to change how illegal immigration is dealt with
  • Wants to make education more accessible and affordable, and enforce higher teaching salaries. 
  • Believes american should be at carbon neutrality by 2050. Wants to do this by incentivizing clean energy solutions.
  • Believes that background checks and the banning of military assault weapons are a necessity.
  • Wants to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour
  • Supports the Paycheck Fairness Act
  • Wants to pass the Equality Act

*The following information was taken from Wendy David’s campaign website. For more information on her policies, please go here

Campaign Website: https://www.wendydavisforcongress.com 

Chip Roy

Political Party: Republican

Policies

• Believes same sex marriage should be legal, but churches should have the right to refuse officiating them
  • Pro-life
  • Believes masks should not be a required mandate from the federal government
  • Believes men and women should have equal pay
  • Believes a stay at home order in order to combat COVID-19 is necessary
  • Believes patrol officers in high crime areas should be given body cameras
  • Doesn’t believe there should be any restrictions on buying a gun, outside of the current ones
  • Believes the government should regulate prices on all prescription drugs
  • Does not believe we should enforce an online only class system
  • Increase border security
  • Does not support the current common core national standards in education

The following information was taken from Chip Roy’s I side with profile. For more information on his policies, click here

Campaign Website: https://roy.house.gov 

For those within the 23rd district, these are the candidates you should look at.

Gina Ortiz Jones

Political Party: Democrat

Policies: 

• Focused on investing in small businesses to put Texas at the forefront of job creation and innovation.
  • Stance on national security is unclear
  • Wants responsible immigration policy reform that protects the security of Americans while also creating an inclusive and welcoming community for those who come to this country for a better life
  • Increase access to quality health care, and lower costs
  • Wants to improve access to first rate public education.
  • Wants to increase job accessibility

*The following information was taken from Gina Oritiz Jones’ campaign website. For more information on her policies, click here

Campaign Website: http://ginaortizjones.com 

Tony Gonzales

Political Party: Republican

Policies: 

• Pro-life and believes all life is sacred, starting at conception
  • Advocates for pro-family legislative policies such as school choice, expanding the child tax credit, and supporting advanced skills to adult learners.
  • Focused on reducing regulations to support the dignity of work for blue collar Americans who are fighting to better the lives of themselves and their families.
  • Wants to improve access to high wage-earning skill sets.
  • Pro Second Amendment
  • Wants to secure the border in high traffic areas

*The following information was taken from Tony Gonzalez’ official campaign website. For more information on his policies, click here

Campaign Website: ://tonygonzalesforcongress.com 

*Note: while there are other candidates running for these positions, they have not been vocal about their policies, and there is not a need to cover them.