Stopping intolerance on campus

School community asked to sign pledge against discrimination, bullying on campus through ‘No Place For Hate’

SVHS Counseling

Third period classes will be encouraged to sign the pledge to make Smithson Valley no place for hate.

Rebekah Mann, Staff Writer

The “No Place For Hate” pledge will be signed by students and teachers on Friday. Students are encouraged to sign the pledge to make the school a discriminatory-free and judgment-free place for everyone.

Each teacher will receive a pledge form in their boxes, and after showing the student-led video, teachers are encouraged to have their students sign the “No Place For Hate” pledge. The classes should then go tape their signed pledge forms onto one of the pledge posters in the hallway. 

After this event, on Nov. 17, a campus wide assembly will be held in connection with “No Place For Hate.” This will be a virtual event promoting bullying prevention in schools. Both in-person and remote students are expected to join and participate in the events.

“No Place For Hate” is a national anti-defamation group formed in 1913. The original intent of the group was to prevent semitism in schools, but it has now expanded to incorporate the fight all racial and social injustices.

The counselors and students involved in the promotion of this corporation hope to see all students well-treated on campus.