Young women in leadership

Cadets talk about their time in all-female color guard

Tim Tschoepe

JROTC and color guard perform at this past semester’s Veterans Day ceremony.

Grace Bush, Staff Writer

Senior Julie Schultz joined the color guard because she thought it was very patriotic and loved watching it. 

“Competing for color guard is really fun, but it’s more difficult than you think,” Schultz said. “It’s only a four-person team for varsity and event, so you have to get in sync with those four people, But it’s a bonding experience with those four people.”

This year, only girls make up the Navy Junior Reserve Office Corps color guard team. 

“A lot of girls are asserting themselves and doing things to make them successful, and color guard is a step toward that,” Schultz said.

Commander Emily Anderson said the color guard represented the United States and Texas.

“My role in the color guard as being the commander is being the carrier of the American flag,” Anderson said. “As the carrier of the American flag, I call the commands of when to turn right, left, etc… along with making the cadence for the rest of the team to follow.”

“Cadence,” in this case, refers to the rhythm or sequence of steps.

“With only girls being on a team, it makes it easier to stay in sync because of our stepping distances are more similar than if a guy was on the team,” Anderson said.

Anderson describes the steps being “hard to coordinate.” Despite this, the girls of JROTC have practiced and worked together as a team. 

“The best part of color guard is on competition days, because the excitement and memories you share with your team is unlike anything else,” Anderson said.

The girls of the color guard are passionate about what they do and excited to show their dedication.

“I don’t find a difference when it’s only girls,” member Lizzie Stockwell said. “To me, being on the color guard means taking responsibility and pride in our great country and the ROTC program.”