Pieper HS/SVHS grandfathering application deadline approaches

Comal ISD

Pieper High School’s doors will open to strictly freshmen and sophomores for the 2021-22 academic school year.

Tatum Tomallo, Social Media Manager

Pieper High School is offering a one-time grandfather option to Smithson Valley High School for ninth grade students Feb. 1 through Feb. 5. Students striving to remain at SVHS are required to fill out the PHS/SVHS Grandfathering Application form within this one-week period. With the same attendance boundary as Pieper Ranch Middle School, located at 810 Kinder Parkway, will open this coming August.

Only current eighth graders and freshmen will attend Pieper High School; junior and senior years will not be part of the school until the next school year.

“I’m going to the new high school because it’s a lot closer to my house, and [it will be] easier to attend after school activities,” freshman Elizabeth Sanchez said. 

Varsity sports the school plans on incorporating include cross country, golf, tennis, track, field, swimming and diving. However, the school prepares to have softball, baseball, basketball, football, soccer, volleyball, and wrestling varsity programs in the 2022-2023. 

“By having limitations on sports and other extra [curricula] within its opening year, there is no incentive for motivated students to pursue and grow within their field of interest,” freshman Student Council President Rowen Hamilton said. “This [is] the reason for me grandfathering into SV.”

The 2021-2022 school year’s fine arts and spirit organization at Pieper High School includes band, choir, cheer, dance, orchestra, theatre, and visual arts. 

With the exceptions of Agriculture Career Cluster (FFA) and Culinary Arts, all programs which are offered at Smithson Valley High School will be available at Pieper High School. Students who are interested in these two programs do have the option to grandfather in SVHS in order to participate in these programs.

“It might be tough with some of my friends moving away [while I] stay at Smithson Valley, but I know it’ll be worth it in the long run,” freshman Ella Pickron said.