Community groups rack support for S.P.U.D. Week

SVHS FACS

Proceeds from SPUD Week will go to Bryant Lacewell (pictured).

Josephine Clark, Staff Writer

To raise money for a local beneficiary chosen by the Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) association, “Students Performing Unselfish Deeds,” otherwise known as S.P.U.D. Week, annually challenges clubs and organizations to create ways to garner community support and funds. 

This year the school hopes to raise $4,000 for Bryant Lacewell in order to help his family afford a pacer and gait trainer necessary to aid in his ability to walk independently. Named for Lacewell’s love of  ‘80s movies, the week’s theme is “Step into the ’80s,” and events planned from March 1-7 take inspiration from iconic pop culture from the decade.

Monday- Capture the Flag

In teams of 3-8, students were encouraged to sign up for a 6 p.m. capture the flag game, and a fee of $10 per team for early registration and $12 for the day of was required. Groups should have submitted cash or check payments to FACS coordinator Aubrie Herring in room C106.

Tuesday- ‘0s Dress Up Day and Contest

Teachers, administration, and students can break out their colorful windbreakers and neon leg warmers for the FCCLA-sponsored ‘80s Dress Up Day and Costume Contest. Participants must pay a $5 entry fee to be judged in four categories: Most Creative, Best Overall, Best Duo/Group, and Best Dressed Teacher. Winners receive thirteen Chick-Fil-A gift cards, a value at nearly $100.

Wednesday- Movie Night

The band-pad-turned-outdoor movie theatre will show Ferris Bueller’s Day Off from 7-9 p.m. Moviegoers must pay $5 per ticket at the gate. Lawn chairs and blankets are encouraged for social-distanced seating.

Thursday- Kickball Tournament

Jumbo Evans Sports Park will host a kickball tournament at 6 p.m. Participants must have formed teams of six and paid an entry fee of $18. 

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090a49a9a82fa7fc1-kickball

Friday- Chick-Fil-A Teacher Lunches

Teachers can buy $6 Chick-Fil-A lunches, which includes a chicken sandwich, sauce, a bag of chips, and a canned soda.

Saturday- Teacher/Student Tennis Tournament

Teachers and students, in duos, will go head-to-head in a tennis tournament at 11 a.m.  By cash or check, each team must have paid a $10 registration fee by Friday, Feb. 26, during all lunches. Spectators can pay $3 to watch, and food trucks will be available from 11 a.m to 1 p.m.

Sunday- Panda Express Spirit Day

Any member of the community wishing to support the Lacewell Family can purchase food from Panda Express with 20 percent of proceeds donated to the cause so long as they bring a flyer, a photo of a flyer, or use code 321756 in the promo code box for online orders. Spirit Day will be held from 11 a.m. to  9:30 p.m.

The ASL Club will offer $5 hat passes and raffle tickets for a Free Whataburger for One Year pass next week during all lunches in both the cafeteria and senior dining hall. 

Lastly, Contact Aubrie Herring for 2021 S.P.U.D. Week shirts sold for $15. 

In addition to school organizations’ support, local businesses, like Aye Chiwawa Mexican Cafe and The Branch Neighborhood Grill, will sponsor the week.