Students and faculty show support during Suicide Prevention Month

On September 17, students and teachers wore purple to represent suicide awareness and prevention

Emily Krupa

Suicide awareness posters are located around the school with QR codes for students looking for help.

Emily Krupa and Giavanna Herrera

September is Suicide Prevention Month, and its goal is to try to help young people who suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people between the ages of 15 to 24. With all that happened this past year – schools shutting down, not being able to see loved ones – many are worried that there would be a significant increase in depression and suicide cases due to the lockdown and the strain of financial hardships. 

The student body showed their support by wearing purple on Friday, Sept. 17. Purple represents support for suicide awareness and prevention, serving as a reminder that mental health and suicide are issues that need to be discussed.

“If we show support, it can help students who are struggling,” junior Bethanie Mcabee said.

Lisa McGinnis, the student support specialist, spoke with many students about these issues.

“There’s a lot more students that are dealing with depression and anxiety, I would throw anxiety in there as well,” McGinnis said. “I think that students that were already struggling with possible mental health issues, and then being isolated, obviously made them worse, and just not having that social interaction and really having anybody to talk to.” 

Students looking for help can scan the QR codes posted around the school hallways and talk to trusted adults, teachers, parents and guidance counselors.