Season Recap

As the season comes to the end we look back on all the accomplishments the team has had.

Jacob Garcia

Luke Cantu hits a forehand.

Dylan Smith

Distract champs chase a repeat title in 2021. “With 5 starters graduated and two of the top girls quitting, the team looks a lot different.” Luke Cantu said. The teams season started in august with the first district match against New Braunfels and the team beat them 10-5 without there line one doubles and line three singles player. 

The team used that momentum in the next week beating Canyon and losing a very close match against Boerne High school. Their next district match was against Wagner high school the team beat Wagner 10-2 then South San high school forfeited making them 3-0 in districts going into the bye week. In the bye week the team played a practice match against Boerne champion high school and lost 4-10. The team picked back up in stelar fashion with a 10-0 win at East Central high school, and that same week Clemons high school lost to New Braunfels high school putting Smithson valley high school in first place in the district. The team played Clemons at home and started really slow losing doubles 3-4 knowing if they lost they could lose the district title the team stepped up in the singles. The boys took charge, winning five of six singles matches, helping the team win 10-7. Shanne Mcginnis had the win of the night coming back down a break in the second set and won in the third set tie breaker 10-4. After winning districts the team took a step back losing to steel high school although  not having their line two and three on the boys side and line three on the girls side they still lost 8-10. “I would say out of the girls Zoe Huggos has improved the most and for the boys Kyle Sanders and Shane Mcginnis  they have really stepped it up in the past weeks.” Luke Cantu said.Gearing up for the playoffs in two weeks they have one more practice match against Clark high school on October 8th at Clark highschool.  The team does not know who they will be playing in the playoffs but they will be the one seed coming out of the district. “ I’m excited to see how the team will deal with a stronger team from other districts.” Luke Cantu said.