Gettin’ Clem the mood

Smithson Valley takes on Clemens

Davis Kuhn

Smithson Valley beat New Braunfels High School 41-24 at the game on Sept.23.

William Maxwell, Staff Writer

Football will compete against Clemens on Friday at 7:00 p.m. The schools are longtime district rivals, and have been at one another’s necks for years. 

The bye week has allowed both teams to have a long and hearty week of recovery, extra film and training. 

“We try to balance it out,” Larry Hill, head football coach, said. “Practice extra but at the same time try to recover.”

Quarterback Derek Mata fully recovered from his arm injury, and is back and ready for action. Hill lauded his arm talent, and he’s been improving each week.

Clemens seems to have a great defense and respectable offense, with No. 5 being their star player. 

“Yeah he’s a sophomore, No. 5,” Hill said. “He’s just ran up against anybody and got it and ran away from them.” 

Hill said his plan is to use the Rangers’ defensive quickness to “try to keep their offense off the (field).”

Clemens lost their quarterback to an injury in Week 1, but his status for this game is still up in the air – he was spotted lobbing balls in jeans before the Judson game, and had the bye week to further recover.

SV’s offense will try to run the ball and out speed the Clemens defense. 

“We’re quicker, but we’re not real big,” Hill said. “I don’t think they’re gonna try anything cute, they’re gonna come right at us.” 

Clemens’ defense is strong, but the Rangers have had consistent success on the ground this season. Running the ball and blocking hard is the plan, according to Hill, who said that this game will be a good one.