PTSA to host first winter formal

Girls’-choice tradition begins with Snowball Dance

SVHS PTSA

This year the snowball dance will be held on January 29th from 7-11 P.M.

Camden Cook and Allison Silva

The cafeteria will hold a Snowball Court, photo booths, a giant balloon arch and a snow machine on Jan. 29 for the girls’ choice winter formal.

The Parent Teacher Student Association will host the first Snowball dance 7-11 P.M., and students can buy tickets online here or in the rotunda.

The tickets  $25 the week of Jan.17 and $30 the week of Jan.24. 

The attire is semi-formal, and there will be food, a deejay and a professional photo booth.

PTSA Treasurer Rene Brown introduced the idea of bringing a winter formal to our campus. 

“When all us moms in PTSA were in high school, there was always a girls choice dance,” PTSA president Jennifer Backlund said. “Last year the SVHS students didn’t get to have Homecoming, and Prom was very understated. This seemed like the perfect year to add a third dance.” 

The funds raised through tickets will be used to finish the teacher workroom.

“We have worked really hard on making the teacher workroom a place teachers could come to relax and enjoy.” PTSA Reflections Chair Alicia Warnock said. “With this dance we are hoping to raise enough money to finish it.”  

Ladies in all grades are preparing for the Snowball Dance with creative posters. Juniors Abigail Lira and Ayla Justus asked their boyfriends Micheal Alexander and Jackson Harris with Spiderman No Way Home inspired posters.

“I was really nervous to ask him because I have never asked a guy to go to the dance with me, but once I asked him he seemed shocked and was really happy.” Lira said. 

Sophomore Jackson Harris was surprised when Justus proposed to him.  

“I was laughing,” Harris said, “because she was scared and wouldn’t show me the poster she made for me,” Harris said.

This dance is a great addition to the school year considering the loss of last school year’s Homecoming and the disappointing events that have taken place in the last few years. PTSA is extremely excited to put this on for our students, and are hoping it is as enjoyable as they have planned it to be.