Spidey-sense

Spiderman: No Way Home exceeds fan expectations

Spider-Man+No+Way+Home%2C+starring+Tom+Holland%2C+Zendaya%2C+Marisa+Tomei+and+Jacob+Battalon+is+now+in+theaters.+

SONY Entertainment

Spider-Man No Way Home, starring Tom Holland, Zendaya, Marisa Tomei and Jacob Battalon is now in theaters.

Peyton Mallard, Staff Writer

Fans had high hopes of a multiverse before the release of the trailer for Spiderman: No Way Home. The trailer surpassed 355 million views on the first day alone, earning the same amount of views as the Avengers: End Game trailer.

With reappearances of villains from the original amazing Spiderman movies (Doc Ock, Green Goblin and Electro) featured in the trailer along with their original actors, fans understood that this meant the beginning of a highly anticipated multiverse.

After the trailer was officially released, viewers began to over analyze the editing of the trailer and fans were quick to create their own theories about the movie. 

Fans were quick to notice the various webs coming from different directions, and the villains all together in one place facing multiple directions, with only one villain facing Spiderman in the frame, the others appeared to be looking at multiple invisible targets.  

SPOILER WARNING

The film picks up where the last Spiderman movie, ‘Spiderman: Far from Home’, left off. Mysterio reveals Spiderman’s identity to the world, and leads everyone to believe that Spiderman, now known as Peter Parker, was responsible for Mysterio’s death. 

Peter is now a senior in high school looking to apply for colleges, all of his picks deny his application though he is a stellar student, due to the recent controversy. His friends are being denied their dream college just for being friends with Peter, essentially running their future.

In an attempt to solve this problem, he visits his old friend Dr. Stephen Strange, to ask if Strange could cast a spell that would allow only his friends and family to know he’s Spiderman. The spell Strange casts goes out of control and then brings everyone who knew Peter’s secret identity from all different universes.

Which leads to the villains from the past Spiderman universes into their universe, which was the perfect opportunity to bring back the previous Spidermen and their original actors.

In order to correct the universe, Peter asks Strange to cast a spell to make everyone forget who Peter Parker was. Strange clarifies that no one at all will have any recollection of who he is and everyone who knows and loves him will forget him. Peter asks him to cast the spell anyway in order to correct the problem he created in the first place. 

Near the end of the film, after Electro was cured of his villainy, he tells Peter from his universe that though he’s cool, “I just thought you were going to be black.” This alludes to the animated film Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse, with Spiderman as Miles Morales. 

Peter walks into his girlfriend’s place of work, Michelle Jones, in an attempt to convince her of their past relationship that has been erased from her memory due to the spell Strange casts to keep the universe at bay. He begins to tell her but falls short, and instead orders a coffee. 

Peter goes to visit his Aunt’s grave and his old friend Happy Hogan is there at the same time, Peter asks how Happy knew Aunt May. Happy replies “Through Spiderman.” 

This suggests that his friends still have a close relationship with Spiderman, and Peter may not be completely alone.

The first end credit scene with Venom symbiote venom will come to the MCU, theories suggest that Andrew Garfield’s will play as Spiderman will be the venom universe. Fans agree that he hasn’t finished his journey of playing Spiderman yet, and Warner Brothers has confirmed that Tom Holland has been confirmed for three more Spiderman movies. This allows for the questions remaining unanswered at the end of the movie to be explored through the next 3 movies.

After seeing the movie I began to weep, the kind of cry you could only do when you were seven years old when your mom denied your request for cereal at the grocery store. The crying where you have trouble breathing properly. The weight of the movie as a Spiderman fan is unbearable, as was seeing all the Spidermen you grew up with on screen joking and getting along like brothers is melancholy.