Senior decisions

Class of 22′ discuss plans for after graduation

Do you know your Ranger trivia?

As the 2021-22 school year comes to an end, many seniors are making their final decisions about where they will be next year.

Class of 2022 Decisions Instagram
Senior Noah Garcia will attend Texas A&M University and major in Computer Engineering.

Senior Noah Garcia will be going to Texas A&M University for their engineering program in the fall.

“It’s been a dream school since I was in elementary school,” Garcia said. “I started out building legos and later got into computers in middle school which led into engineering. A&M happened to have a really good engineering program, so that worked out.”

Garcia finished in the top 10% of his class, granting him automatic admission to any state school. He completed his application in August and was accepted at the end of September.

“It’s been really stress relieving,” Garcia said. “I can focus my time on scholarships now instead of applying for school.”

While Garcia is going to an in-state school, other students opted to leave Texas. Senior Chloe Burkhardt will be attending George Mason University in Virginia for forensic science. 

“It’s a really good opportunity because they offer a lot of amazing things through the Honors College,” Burkhardt said. “I can get a lot of internships with the FBI that can further my career.”

Burkhardt was an avid viewer of “NCIS” as a child. She says it is the only reason she is going into forensics. Attending school on the east coast will allow her amazing opportunities in government jobs. 

“I hope to gain a lot of connections,” Burkhardt said. “Being in Virginia will help me to meet a lot of new people.”

For senior Emily Garibay, college was never in her plans. After graduation, she will join the United States Air Force to become a combat medic. 

“I’ve always had an interest in helping others in any way I can,” Garibay said. “I’ve been in JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) for all four years, so college has never been a huge interest for me.”

Garibay considered taking a gap year, but did not want to miss the benefits she will gain from the military. Not only money, but experience too.

“I’ve struggled in my math classes, and I didn’t want to struggle through college and have to find ways to pay for it,” Garibay said. “So I was going to join the military and have them pay for it if I need to go to college.”

Air Force trains at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, so Garibay will not have to travel far. 

“Hopefully I will stay here for a while, but I am open to traveling,” Garibay said. “I would love to go overseas and see the world.”

Choosing a university to attend is not an easy decision, and there are many factors that students should consider before accepting an offer.

“Students should consider if the school offers their major or program, if there are organizations on campus the student would like to join, and of course comparing the financial aid packages that have been offered to them,” academic and career advisor Lauren Kiesling said. “Hopefully, students have had a chance to visit the schools they have been accepted to and know what the campus is like and if they felt comfortable there.”