Fine arts goes blonde

Inside ‘Legally Blonde Jr.’ auditions

Legally Blonde Jr. performances will be in December, but dates have not been set yet.

Theater Mania

“Legally Blonde Jr.” performances will be in December, but dates have not been set yet.

Grayson Cook, Staff Writer

The theater department has teamed up with dance, choir and all other fine art classes to produce this year’s musical – “Legally Blonde Jr.”.     

“There is a lot more talent around campus than just theater,” theater director Casey O’brian said. “This production gives everyone at Smithson Valley a chance to be in the show because of the huge cast needed.”

On the first day of auditions, students performed a prepared monologue as well as sang a selected song from the musical. On the second day, Melanie Phillips, Silver Spurs dance coach taught a dance number to the students auditioning.       

Seniors Emma Derr and Zach Anderson will be playing the leads, Elle Woods and Emmett Forrest respectively.

“Sometimes kids are going to shine and excel, and others are going to bomb,” choir director Cathy Macrcedes said.

O’Brian also understood the weight  that the audition had put on the kids, and tried to make the acting environment as calming as possible.

“We know that some kids aren’t going to be great at it,” O’Brian said. “but we’re confident enough that they will surprise us.”