Jacob Valadez

During playoff action Nov. 25, senior defensive end McLain Garrett pulls down the Fulshear quarterback, with assistance from junior defensive end Doug Lantz in the 31-13 win.

On the road to success

Football takes on College Station Cougars Saturday in Pflugerville

Football, running in to the state quarterfinals for the first time since 2015, meets the College Station Cougars at 2 p.m. Saturday at The PField in Pflugerville. 

The tension is high, but so is the energy. 

We’re always positive … nervous perhaps, since there’s so much at stake,” coach Larry Hill said.

College Station went 11-2 as the second place time in district. This past week, they wiped Georgetown out of the playoffs 58-28. 

The defense will keep an eye on College Station  junior quarterback Arrington Maiden, who has 160 completed passes for 12 touchdowns and 1,805 yards. Racking up more stats is sophomore Aydan Martinez-Brown, who rolls in with 23 touchdowns and has a total 1,754 yards rushing and receiving yards. 

“They have an outstanding team, very talented and well-coached,” Hill said.  “Of course, when you reach the quarterfinal round, that’s to be expected.”

The Cougars will have their hands full with the likes of  juniors Nichloas Dudzikowski and Ryland Walker. 

Linebacker Dudzikowski has had three interceptions, three sacks, four fumbles caused, one fumble recovery, eight QB hurries and 104 defensive yards. Another rising player is second-string junior quarterback Walker, totaling 34 completed passes this season, two touchdowns and with 28 rushing yards. 

“We are just going to go out there and be us, play as hard as we can, and play for each other,” Walker said. 

There will be a pep rally on Friday to honor football with their progress this season so far. 

This week’s theme is Christmas, and parents wear navy.

Valley Ventana • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in