The top 50 albums of 2022

Showcasing the most impressive albums of 2022

Austen Young, Staff Writer

2022 was a good year for music with lots of new releases from important artists and debuts from some new artists with lots of potential, so here are what I believe to be the 50 best albums released this year.

50.

“NOT TiGHT” by DOMi & JD BECK

July 29 | Nu Jazz | {8/10}

The ironically tightly knit carefree nu-jazz of Domi & JD BECK is perfectly nonchalant fun that doesn’t try to be much more.

49.

“Natural Brown Prom Queen” by Sudan Archives

September 9 | Alternative RnB | {8/10}

A beautiful Alternative RnB album with loads of great ideas and uniqueness that makes it stick out among her peers.

48.

“Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava” by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

October 7 | Psychedelic Rock | {8/10}

Out of the 4 albums KGLW released this year “IDPLML” stuck out to me the most with its dense track list and psychedelic sound being put together with an obvious amount of care.

47.

“CHAOS NOW*” by Jean Dawson

October 7 | Alternative Rock | {8/10}

The many sounds that Jean tackles on his 3rd album truly are chaotic, but can also be unbelievably beautiful. 

46.

“Stalled Flutes, means” by Asian Glow

June 13 | Noise Rock | {8/10}

Asian Glow continues to show his potential through noisy emo infused shoegaze that is only held back by the fact that it can tend to overstay its welcome.

45.

“It’s Almost Dry” by Pusha T

April 22 | Southern Hip-Hop | {8/10}

None of the subject matter is anything new for Pusha T, but the production from the likes of Pharrell Williams and others really amplifies Push’s capabilities as a rapper.

44.

“10” by Westside Gunn

October 28 | Gangsta Rap | {8/10}

The finale to the group of albums that’ve defined him for nearly seven years is a nice sendoff for such a long running and important series.

43.

“Dawn FM” by The Weeknd

January 7 | Synthpop | {8/10}

The truest 80’s synth pop revival album to date, the songs are catchy and the concept is loose and fun.

42.

“Spiderr” by Bladee

September 30 | Experimental Hip-Hop | {8/10}

Compared to his last few albums it might seem a bit redundant, but as a its own project “Spiderr” grows and meshes Bladee’s sounds in a way that works well.

41.

“Back 2 Life” by Thaiboy Digital

November 18 | Cloud Rap | {8/10}

The newest album from Drain Gang member Thaiboy Digital brings a heartwarming retrospective to his life as a family man and his journey to the top.

40.

“NO STYLIST” by Destroy Lonely

August 12 | Trap | {8/10}

Destroy Lonely’s newest Mixtape feels like him finally establishing himself artistically, with its darker ambient take on the sound of his “Opium” label.

39.

“CAPRISONGS” by FKA twigs

January 14 | Alternative RnB | {8/10}

“CAPRISONGS” is disjointed, but that’s the point, it’s a bunch of miscellaneous tracks for whatever your feeling at any given moment and it’s perfect for that.

38.

“learn 2 swim” by redveil

April 20 | Conscious Hip-Hop | {8/10}

The 18 year old rapper’s second album boasts introspective lyricism and jazzy instrumentation as well as a lot of promise for his future as an artist.

37.

“Heavy Rocks” by Boris

August 12 | Noise Rock | {8/10}

The 3rd installment in the “Heavy Rocks” series punches you in the face, takes your money, and steals your car, yet will still leave you wanting more.

36.

“AMERICAN GURL” by Kilo Kish

March 25 | Electropop | {8/10}

Kilo Kish isn’t a star in the making, she’s already one and it shows on her deeply intriguing sophomore album.

35.

“$oul $old $eparately” by Freddie Gibbs

September 30 | Gangsta Rap | {8/10}

It’s neither Freddie’s most centered nor impressive showcases of his capabilities, but it’s a refreshing take on his sound that contains a lot of fantastic tracks.

34.

“Gemini Rights” by Steve Lacy

July 15 | Neo-Soul | {8/10}

Steve captures his talent as a musician and song-writer in a bottle to make his most in depth and catchy tracks yet.

33.

“Super Champon” by Otoboke Beaver 

May 6 | Hardcore Punk | {8/10}

Even with its short runtime, it’s one of the most well thought out, hectic, and unabashedly in your face albums of the year.

32.

“SICK!” by Earl Sweatshirt

January 14 | Abstract Hip-Hop | {8/10}

While Earl’s focus on “SICK!” is all over the place, it still results in an album full of intrigue and new sonic journey’s for an artist that had already found his niche.

31.

“Baby” by Petrol Girls

June 24 | Riot Grrrl | {8/10}

The emotional fuel presented by Petrol Girls makes such a raw album, tackling themes that fit the time of release very well.

30.

“Everything Was Beautiful” by Spiritualized

April 22 | Space Rock | {8.5/10}

The distilled beauty of “Everything Was Beautiful” is enough to make it one of the best of the year, but the feel-good mentality of it makes it all the more fulfilling.

29.

“PRE PLEASURE” by Julia Jacklin

August 26 | Indie Rock | {8.5/10}

Jacklin improves her song-writing capabilities resulting in an album poignant with feelings of hopelessness in love.

28.

“Skinty Fia” by Fontaines D.C.

April 22 | Post-Punk | {8.5/10}

The gothic moodiness the Irish post-punk group brings on their 3rd album makes it gravitationally glum and intoxicating.

27.

“Preacher’s Daughter” by Ethel Cain

May 12 | Dream Pop | {8.5/10}

The dream pop murkiness and reverb displayed can sometimes be less than ideal, but Ethel takes what she can from it and makes it sound mystical.

26.

“Sitting At The End Of The World” by JOHNNASCUS

August 16 | Digital Hardcore | {8.5/10}

John found the balance of loud and unnerving industrial sounds, mixed with beautiful bit-crushed digital sounds resulting in a sound that has obvious inspirations while still retaining its originality.

25.

“A Light for Attracting Attention” by The Smile

May 13 | Art Rock | {8.5/10}

While the album cuts can tend to be overshadowed by the multitude of singles, the singles are so good that it doesn’t even matter.

24.

“HIS HAPPINESS SHALL COME FIRST EVEN THOUGH WE ARE SUFFERING” by Backxwash

October 31 | Industrial Hip-Hop | {8.5/10}

The finale to Backxwash’s trilogy of albums is her most realized and emotionally stunning displays of industrial abrasiveness.

23.

“Horsespit on Route 66” by The Garden

September 8 | Experimental Punk | {8.5/10}

The Garden’s newest record is a short one, but one that keeps that punk mentality and freedom to experiment that the band was built on very much alive and kicking.

22.

“Forget Your Own Face” by Black Dresses

February 15 | Electro-Industrial | {8.5/10}

The duo continue their streak of inventive Electro-Industrial projects with their most compact batch of tracks to date.

21.

“NO THANK YOU” by Little Simz

December 12 | Conscious Hip-Hop | {8.5/10}

Following her highly acclaimed “Sometimes I Might Be Introvert,” “NO THANK YOU” doesn’t quite reach those same heights, but it still showcases her impeccable and undeniable talent.

20.

“Melt My Eyez See Your Future” by Denzel Curry

March 25 | Conscious Hip-Hop | {8.5/10}

After initially being disappointed by its release, as I’ve had more time to sit with it, it has become one of Denzel’s most mature and consistent albums both production wise and performance wise.

19.

“Aethiopes” by billy woods

April 8 | Abstract Hip-Hop | {8.5/10}

The unorthodox nature of Wood’s flow, instrumentals, and lyricism propels “Aethiopes” to becoming another piece of intrigue among his ever growing discography.

18.

“fawn” by foxtails

January 14 | Screamo | {8.5/10}

“Fawn” can be loud, very loud, but beneath the loudness of “fawn” you can find beautiful, lush instrumentals and emotional lyricism.

17.

“RENAISSANCE” by Beyoncé

July 29 | Dance Pop | {8.5/10}

The queen of pop comes back for her crown and wears it proudly, this time being even dancier and with a major house music influence thrown in the mix.

16.

“Diaspora Problems” by Soul Glo

March 25 | Hardcore Punk | {8.5/10}

When it comes to punk, no album comes close to the level of insanity that “Diaspora Problems” showcases through its sheer energy and unfiltered commentary.

15.

“MOTOMAMI” by ROSALÍA

March 18 | Neoperreo | {8.5/10}

“MOTOMAMI” shows the expressive and creative future of reggaeton with ROSALÍA breaking the genre mold to make one of the most enjoyable records of the year.

14.

“Fossora” by Björk

September 30 | Art Pop | {8.5/10}

The icelandic singers 10th album has lush, natural soundscapes and Björk continuing to be one of the most impressive vocal talents out there.

13.

“Cheat Codes” by Black Thought & Danger Mouse

August 12 | Conscious Hip-Hop | {8.5/10}

The rapper/producer duo of Black Thought and Danger Mouse is so beautiful and smooth that it’s hard to believe it’s their first collaboration.

12.

“Glitch Princess” by Yeule

February 4 | Glitch Pop | {8.5/10}

The glitchy pop sounds of Yeule’s music really come together on “Glitch Princess” which I can only describe as enveloped in the internet.

11.

“God’s Country” by Chat Pile

July 29 | Sludge Metal | {8.5/10}

“God’s Country” is raw, disturbing, and unnatural, the gunky metal instrumentals over the nervous vocals and paranoid lyrics makes an album that is drowning in mercilessness and faithlessness.

10.

“God Save the Animals” by Alex G

September 23 | Indie Rock | {8.5/10}

The indie darlings newest album takes risks and they pay off, all the new sounds and the concepts work impressively well.

9.

“And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow” by Weyes Blood

November 18 | Art Pop | {9/10}

The newest album from the mind of Weyes Blood is lovely.  It’s not exactly a surprise as Weyes has shown herself to be a powerful musician with “And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow” only furthering that.

8.

“Crest” by Bladee & Ecco2k

March 17 | Synthpop | {9/10}

“Crest” marked a big turn in the “Drain Gang” sound, it’s something they have been working towards for a while now with this being the first time it’s been so clear on the future of the group’s glamorous sound.

7.

“I Love You Jennifer B” by Jockstrap

September 9 | Art Pop | {9/10}

As someone who was blown away by their 2020 EP, I had been extremely hopeful for their full debut and it delivers in every department.  The balance of perfect art pop and sloppy glitch pop works oddly well and results in something so reminiscent of other important acts while still standing on its own.

6.

“The Forever Story” by JID

August 26 | Southern Hip-Hop | {9/10}

JID has always been talented but has never taken advantage of it as much as he has on “The Forever Story.”  Nearly every track is over the top with energy or emotion and JID putting on some of his most impressive lyrical showcases of his career.

5.

“Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers” by Kendrick Lamar

May 13 | Conscious Hip-Hop | {9/10}

Kendrick’s impact as an artist is undeniable, so every album is a big culture moment and that was especially true for this album.  “Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers” similarly to Kendrick’s other albums, can be lyrically charged by current social and political events, but it also has lots of catchy conscious hip-hop cuts throughout its runtime.

4.

“Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You” by Big Thief

February 11 | Indie Folk | {9/10}

The band’s humongous double album does not overstay its welcome and is easily their most impressive yet.  Adrianne Lenker’s vocals and lyricism are so on point that it’s just impossible not to get sucked into it when everything is so pristine, and the instrumentals are folk  country perfection.  It will be hard for you to find another album at its length that does such a great job of staying this fresh.

3.

“Once Twice Melody” by Beach House

February 18 | Dream Pop | {9.5/10}

Released in chapters periodically over the year, Beach House’s “Once Twice Melody” is a celebration of the dream pop genre.  Nearly every song has its own unbridled serenity to it as “Victoria” and “Alex “ create these transcendent neo-psychedelic soundscapes that are simply unmatched.

2.

“Hellfire” by black midi

July 15 | Avant-Prog | {10/10}

There is a lot to be said about “Hellfire,” from the layered dense instrumentals, to the freakish and exuberant vocals present throughout, but also the fact it’s a fantastic concept album.  With every bizarre, unique track telling a story related to the themes of death over the explosive instrumentation.  It is all about the spectacle and grandiosity and it absolutely nails it.

1.

“Ants From Up Here” by Black Country, New Road

February 4 | Art Rock | {10/10}

An album that’s impact matched its grandiosity. BCNR’s second album coincided with the announcement of the leaving of their lead singer, Isaac Woods, which had me worried for the budding british group.  There was no need to worry though because they released one of the most inexplicably beautiful and saddening records I’ve heard so far this decade.  While the future of the band is still unknown, in the little amount of music they’ve already released they have shown their place in the scene while putting out records that will be important for decades to come.