Student shoots for scholarship

Sophomore wins 10,000 dollars at rodeo

Laney Rendon, Staff Writer

Most students spend their Saturdays shopping, going to movies or just hanging out with friends. That wasn’t the case Saturday, Feb. 18., when the SV FFA Shooting Team had a 10,000 dollar scholarship winner, Garrett Fischer, from the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo for the second year in a row.

Trap is a game where five people are arranged behind a trap house and the house launches clay pigeons in different directions away from the shooters. Out of the 11 students from SV, Fischer was the only one to place in the trap event.

“It was a very surreal experience,” Fischer said. “I never thought that I would place in such a huge event.”

Fischer, along with the other 10 finalists, shot 99/100 in the event, advancing him to shoot-offs. There, he competed in the finals where he placed fourth out of 576 boys.

“The clay I missed was during my first out of four rounds,” Fischer said. “I did not miss any during my last three rounds or in the semifinals.”

Fischer spent the entire weekend shooting.

“I shot my 99/100 in trap on Friday, then on Saturday, in the morning, I shot Sporting Clays, in the evening I competed in the semifinals for Trap, then on Sunday I competed in the finals for Trap,” Fischer said. “My family and I were there a total of three days.”

Although this was Fischer’s first year shooting for the FFA team, he started shooting five years ago in the Comal County Claybusters 4H team. He shoots for all shooting sports: Trap, Skeet, Whiz Ban and Sporting Clays.

“[He] has worked very hard to get to this level of focus and dedication,” parent volunteer Judy Marburger said. “Shooting sports is a character building sport in that when you win, you win big, and when you don’t, all you can do is keep trying and keep a good attitude, because there are no participation ribbons.”

Fischer plans to use the money he won for college and strives to obtain more scholarships in his junior and senior year.

Courtesy of SV FFA
Sophomore Garrett Fischer is presented the scholarship after his win at San Antonio Rodeo.