Best in nation

JROTC receives award from State Senator, United States Navy League

The navy ROTC unit received a flag from state senator Donna Campbell at the school board meeting with Superintendent Andrew Kim and the Comalisd Board of Trustees. Picture with them are instructors Commander
Vincent Quidachay, Chief Daniel Hansen, and Senior Chief Chris Simmons and
student cadet officers Logan Marraro, Alyssa Thomas, Lynnea Seiler, Lachlan
Shipp, Seth Davidson, Asia Sanders, Jonathan Owen, Hannah Randle and Cody
Gayre.

Jason Gordon

The navy ROTC unit received a flag from state senator Donna Campbell at the school board meeting with Superintendent Andrew Kim and the Comalisd Board of Trustees. Picture with them are instructors Commander Vincent Quidachay, Chief Daniel Hansen, and Senior Chief Chris Simmons and student cadet officers Logan Marraro, Alyssa Thomas, Lynnea Seiler, Lachlan Shipp, Seth Davidson, Asia Sanders, Jonathan Owen, Hannah Randle and Cody Gayre.

Jason Gordon, Communications Coordinator

Smithson Valley High School’s Navy JROTC Unit was named the top program in the United States for the 2016-2017 school year by the United States Navy League.

They received recognition at the September 19 Comal ISD School Board meeting where State Senator Donna Campbell presented the unit with a U.S. flag and a letter of congratulations.

SVHS was first named the top Unit in Area 10, which encompasses most of Texas. That award put the Rangers in the running for the Navy League’s Best in the Nation award against the other 10 Areas in the U.S.

The accomplishment was based on many things including: unit participation in drill competitions, hosting drill competitions, community service hours, school support, academic performance by cadets, physical fitness, college campus visits and many other activities.