Football swarms Hornets

Senior standout Trevon Moehrig-Woodard stretches ball out to score.

Mckenzie Bentley

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

The varsity football team took on East Central on Friday to swat the Hornets in a 54-0 homecoming win. The Rangers swatted the Hornets all game with scores pouring in from offensive efforts. Defense created chaos for East Central, sacking the Hornets multiple times and holding them scoreless throughout the game.

The team came out with a bang as junior quarterback Levi Williams launched a 54 yard touchdown bomb to senior receiver Ricky Rios in the Rangers opening drive. Closing the first quarter of play in a 6-0 lead for the team.

The football team continued its dominance as they poured on scores in the second quarter. Senior athletic Mason Pierce claimed an 8 yard rushing touchdown along with a 40 yard receiving touchdown from Williams. Williams provided a 22 yard passing touchdown to senior standout Trevon Moehrig-Woodard, making the score 26-0 at halftime.

The Rangers scored in the early minutes of the third quarter with a 5 yard receiving touchdown by tight end Adoryzel Hunter. The following drive Williams hit senior standout Rios yet again on a 44 yard receiving touchdown making the score 40-0 at the end of the third quarter.

The team piled on more scores before the final seconds hit zero including two 3 yard rushing touchdowns by sophomore Greg Eggleston, making the final score 54-0.Quarterback Levi Williams lead the team in passing with 242 yards and 5 touchdowns. Senior receiver Ricky Rios closed his impressive showing leading the team with 107 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns.

Their next matchup will be against Wagner on Oct. 13 at 7:30 p.m. in Rutledge Stadium.