Football grounds Thunderbirds

Smithson+Valley+charges+field+to+battle+Wagner+on+Oct.+13.+

Anderson Bentley

Smithson Valley charges field to battle Wagner on Oct. 13.

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

The Rangers battled the Wagner Thunderbirds Friday at Rutledge Stadium to secure a 35-15 win and continue their six-game winning streak.

Coming off a bye week prepped and focused on Wagner’s option-based offense, the team dismantled the Thunderbirds with offensive touchdowns and defensive pressure to create chaos for Wagner.

The team started slowly, but effectively, to hold Wagner scoreless throughout the first quarter. The Thunderbirds marched down the field on their opening drive but the Rangers stopped them on fourth down.

On the first play of the second quarter, junior quarterback Levi Williams made a 6-yard passing touchdown to senior tight end Adoryzel Hunter. The following drive, Williams launched a 57-yard touchdown bomb to senior standout Trevon Moehrig-Woodard.

The team ended the second quarter with Williams sending touchdown passes to senior receiver Mason Pierce and Moehrig-Woodard before concluding the first half with a 28-0 lead.

The Rangers continued to bombard the Thunderbirds as sophomore running back Greg Eggleston scored on a two-yard rushing touchdown in the opening minutes in the second half. Wagner answered with a scoring drive of its own, marching down the field to put up a two-yard rushing touchdown by freshman running back L.J Butler.

During the fourth quarter, Wagner ran in the final touchdown of the game to make the final score 35-15.

Williams led the team with 339 passing yards and four touchdowns. Eggleston gained 57 yards rushing and one touchdown to lead the team in rushing yardage.

The Rangers face Clemens 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 20 in Ranger Stadium.