Football tames Mustangs

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

The varsity football team competed on Friday against John Jay High School in the Class 6A Division II Bi District game resulting in a 37-9 win over the Mustangs. The team was coming off an impressive regular season showing with a 9-1 overall record to John Jay’s 7-4.

The Rangers attacked first on a 6-yard rushing touchdown by junior Marc Franco in the early minutes of the first quarter. The following drive, junior kicker Mason Reid made his longest field goal of the season with a 39-yard field goal. Franco rushed for another touchdown in the closing minutes of the first quarter to increase the lead 16-0.

Senior receiver Trevon Moehrig-Woodard stunned the crowd on the third play of the second quarter, off an 80-yard touchdown catch from junior quarterback Levi Williams. John Jay responded with a 21-yard field goal to cut the Ranger lead to 23-3. The team scored twice more before the first half came to a close with senior tight end Adoryzel Hunter making a 28-yard touchdown catch and senior receiver Mason Pierce making contributions off a 30-yard receiving touchdown.

The Mustangs struck the scoreboard first in the third quarter of play on a 7-yard rushing touchdown. Both teams continued to exchange blows before the final seconds of the game ticked down to zero and the team advancing over the Mustangs with a 37-9 win. The football team takes on Austin Westlake next at 1:00 p.m. on Nov. 24 in Alamo Stadium.