Basketball starts winning streak

Senior Alex Peavy works in the post against a Wagner defender in the teams meeting from last season.

Photo by McKenzie Bentley

Bobby Palomin, Editor-in-Chief

The boys varsity basketball team improved to 6-5 on the year after a solid showing at the SAISD tournament this past weekend. The team went 3-0 defeating San Antonio Kennedy, Corpus Christi Ray, and San Antonio Highland. The undefeated tournament was marked by a forced forfeit by the team on Friday night after they were told to return home due to the inclement weather that was happening back on campus.

A solid outing in tournament play is a good sign for the team going forward as they were trying to find a rhythm following losing three of their last four games before beginning their current three game winning streak.

“I feel we should keep playing pretty well,” said junior Justin Nutt “We came out of the tournament with a winning record it’s bringing confidence into our play.”

Senior Alex Peavy has led the way for the team averaging 13.9 points per game while hauling in nine rebounds per game. The team is also finding solid contributions from several juniors on the team including Sean Bolds (13.1 PPG) and Bryan Herrera (7.5 PPG) who have provided a scoring boost, while Justin Nutt and Dylan Sinegal have provided strong defensive efforts for the squad.

“The young guys have been working hard and are getting better each day,” said senior Alex Peavy “We are getting better and better each game and by district we should be where we want to be.”

The team’s next game is coming up Friday at home against San Marcos. Tip off is at 7:00 p.m.