Why college athletes should be paid

Johnny Manziel after winning the Heisman in his freshman season generated millions of dollar for Texas A&M University bringing up discussion whether college athletes should be paid.

Photo by ShutterBug459

Hudson Murphy, Sports Writer

College athletes today deserve the right to get paid for all of the work they put in because of the large amount of money that the NCAA as well as the coaches profit off of these athletes for. Along with this, players work as hard as they would for any other job so they deserve to get compensated like it is indeed one.

Due to the rise in the interest for college sports and the great rise in fans watching these sports, the NCAA continues to make millions of dollars and profit heavily off of this sparking a large debate over whether these college athletes deserve to get paid or not. Many former college athletes as well current athletes, especially in football and basketball, have made it public that they think that college athletes deserve to be paid for the sport that they play.

The NCAA is the organization that represents and organizes all of college sports and because of this they control where the profit is distributed. They keep a majority of the profit while they give the minority of the money back to the colleges. The other party that earns a salary for working in college sports is the coaches and staff. These people deserve to get paid but if the coaches who do not even play get paid why aren’t the players.

The big argument for the payment of the players is the fact that the people who do get paid for the college sport, the NCAA and coaches, are not even physically doing the work, while the players get nothing. People who argue in favor of college athletes not getting paid might say that college athletes get paid through their scholarships and accommodations. Although this is a good point, these things are not enough. Compared to the millions of dollars that the NCAA earns every year players deserve more.

Another reason that these players deserve to get paid like they are working a job is because they are putting in the amount of work if not more, than a job would entail. Players have practices in the morning, during the day, and at night routinely putting in about 50 hours of work a week. These players dedicate the majority of their time on the sport and often struggle in supporting themselves financially in college which is a large issue.

Players are often called student athletes yet they spend a lot more time playing their sport than in the classroom. They are supposed to focus on both their education and the sport but the amount of work required to do well in both is difficult, and most of the time players have to make a choice. This shows just another sacrifice that players make.

Overall players work very hard to get to to where they are at but do not get any money for doing so. These players are taking risks and work hard like it is a job, yet they do not get paid like one. The main reasons that these players deserve money include the fact other people who are not doing the work are getting paid millions of dollars, the work they put in does not balance the compensation that they get.