Game of ranks

Game of ranks

Jack Padgett, Entertainment Editor

Now that college applications have passed the stress of college applications leaves seniors to add more stress to junior year. One of the biggest factors in college applications is class rank. When I was a freshman I had no clue what class rank even was and that is when it is most important to know what class rank is.

Colleges in Texas have three main tracks colleges accept, which are top ten percent, SAT/ACT scores and holistic review. The top 10 percent rule requires that all public Texas colleges must accept high school students that are in the top 10 percent excluding University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin) (they must accept students in the top 7 percent).

In sophomore, I had finally learned what school ranks are and how to get points. Only the core classes (Math, English, Science and Social Studies) and Foreign language. So I continued to take all of the classes at the highest level I could, even Pre-AP Spanish. I am monolingual at best so to say that class was a challenge was a challenge is an understatement. However, I knew the importance of that class when it comes to rank so I put all of my efforts in trying my best and was able to just barely get an 80. This rule does not apply to schools out of state.

For me the easiest way to get accepted to college is through the top 10 percent rule, however, the SAT/ACT route is also very popular. For this entrance route, students must be in the top 25 percent and achieve an SAT or ACT that the college determines. For some people like me that are terrible test taker, this option can seem hopeless. This application avenue is often available in all states.

That is why there is the holistic review for all students that don’t fall under either of the categories. The holistic review is simply the college reviewing a person’s whole high school career, any work experience and home life. The holistic review is also often accepted in all states.

For younger students, I stress that they avoid slacking in their first two years as it is very hard to dig yourself out of that hole. Also, students should take the advanced classes that they know they would thrive in.