First time commit

Senior defenseman commits as first lacrosse player from area

Senior defensemen Brance Anderson signing commitment to play at Colorado State University Pueblo on Nov. 8.

Ricki Anderson

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

When Smithson Valley Lacrosse Club began eight years ago, people often wondered if there would be enough interest for the program to grow and prosper. Not only has it grown substantially in numbers, but it is now seeing it’s first recruit go on and play at the next level. Senior defenseman Brance Anderson has the distinct honor of being the first Smithson Valley lacrosse player with a signed commitment at the collegiate level.

“Being the first Smithson Valley Lacrosse player to commit to play at the college level is a great feeling. I hope my signing with Colorado Pueblo will motivate younger players to strive to play at the next level and refine their lacrosse skills” said Anderson.

Brance first started out playing lacrosse at an early age, after a few friends told him about the sport. Anderson had no idea of the opportunities that awaited him in the future, after his hard work and determination as a lacrosse player.

“At first I was skeptical of starting lacrosse because I had no idea what it was, but after attending the first practice I fell in love with the game and now here I am about to be going into my senior year of lacrosse preparing for college level lacrosse” said Anderson.

This upcoming season will mark Brance Anderson’s fourth year on the varsity lacrosse team with his freshman year marking his first career start. During his tenure, Anderson has been awarded all state honors as an “All State Defenseman” for the 2016-2017 lacrosse season, along with being considered “All District” in past seasons.The past two seasons, Anderson has taken on the responsibility of leading the team as one the team captain’s, that ultimately represents Smithson Valley Lacrosse on and off the playing field to the best ability.

“It’s tremendous for him and our program that he has chosen to continue his lacrosse career while seeking higher education. Brance’s commitment hopefully will motivate others to follow in his footsteps.” said Trey Harden, President of Smithson Valley Lacrosse.

Brance has not only been a star lacrosse player, but also a contributor to the organization and community as well. Anderson has donated countless hours to help mentor and coach the youth, along with providing assistance whenever needed. This has lead many to believe in Brance’s true values as a leader, as he is always willing to help out those in need.

“Coaching the youth players is something I love doing. It means the world to me to be able to help them learn the game,” said Anderson “To be able to pass my knowledge of the game down to younger players is one of the best things I can do to help grow the game.”

With Anderson now heading to the next level, Smithson Valley Lacrosse hopes this is just the beginning and that future players are sure to follow.

Registration is currently open for the Spring 2018 season. For more information regarding Smithson Valley Lacrosse: http://www.svlax.net