Making waves

Aquatics team takes home district win

The aquatics team poses on the medal stand after their total team victory was announced. Both the womens and mens team took first place last Saturday.

Kari Osborne

The aquatics team poses on the medal stand after their total team victory was announced. Both the women’s and men’s team took first place last Saturday.

Emma Sipple, Co-Editor in Chief

“Your district 25-6A champions are Smithson Valley High School!” the official in a pink shirt said into the mic. The team’s cheers filled Josh Davis Natatorium as the team climbed onto the medal stand to take a team photo. The women’s team won its fourth consecutive district championship and the men’s team won its third consecutive district championship.

When the team first started, they never had won a district title at all.

“The win in 2015 was our first,” head coach Kari Osborne said. “We had always came up short by two points.”

This year the team will take 35 individual events and six relays to Regionals.

The women’s 4×100 freestyle relay broke the previous school record by six seconds. Junior Mackenzie Hamlett, seniors Caitie Mansker and Avery Wilson and freshman Morgan Schield went a 3:40.57 beating the time set last year.

“It showed that every place counted it was a total team effort,” Osborne said.

The school won with a combined score of 334 points. The women’s team won with 177 points and the men’s team won with 157 points.  

Sophomore divers Katelyn Stone and Morgan Price won second and third place for the women and freshman diver Harrison Taylor won first for the men. They will compete tonight.

Prelims will take place tomorrow at 9 a.m. at Josh Davis natatorium with finals Saturday at 2 p.m.

“The best moment when everyone got on the medal stand together celebrating,” Osborne said. “We had never gotten a picture of all of us on the medal stand.”