8 ways to celebrate Earth Day

Students can participate in activities to help the planet

Laney Rendon and Rebecca Covington, News Editor and Opinion Editor

Earth day is this Sunday, April 22. Earth Day has been celebrated for 47 years, since 1970. In 1969, a massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, California pushed Senator Gaylord Nelson to introduce Earth Day to the United States. 2020 will mark the 50th anniversary, so it would be great if the world has seen some change by individuals by then. So, here are some ideas of activities, or things, to do this weekend to celebrate Earth Day:

1. Take a hike with your friends or family to appreciate nature at the Guadalupe State Park or Enchanted Rock State Park
  2. Go vegetarian for the day; Not eating meat for one day is equivalent to not driving a car for a week because of the carbon emissions created by meat processing.
  3. Ditch the car. Go for a walk around the neighborhood or take a bike ride instead of driving around.
  4. Plant a tree.
  5. Go on a picnic at your local park. 
  6. Go to Pearl Brewery or Brackenridge Park to enjoy a day outside with food and music.
  7. If you do have to drive, try doing so with the windows down and the AC off.
  8. Use only really plates instead of paper plates and styrofoam for all your meals.  

For those who want to continue helping the environment, following the 22nd, a Monday, which could be a “Meatless Monday.”

According to EarthDay.org,in fact, over the last 10 years alone, total global meat consumption has grown by 20%.”

If everyone cut out meat for one day a week, that would be same as not driving 91 billion miles, or taking 7.6 million cars off the road.

There are many small things that can be changed to lessen your ecological footprint on this Earth. It can start this Sunday, or it can start now. As long as people realize their role on this aging planet and what they can do to help it, then we are making some progress.