Counting from the start

Over-crowding continues to be a challenge in new school year

Bus riders enter the Rotunda on the first day of school, Aug. 28.

Julie Schultz

Daniel Lackey, Staff Writer

The beginning of the 2018-2019 school year has taken off and features a surplus of fresh incoming students and teachers mixed into the population batch. For this year, the school contains a whopping total of 2,872 students. Contributing the most to this number is the freshmen class, with 774 enrollees seeking out their classes in a vastly different setting compared to their more compact middle schools, followed close behind by the sophomore class`s 737, the junior`s 704, and least of all the senior class`s 657.

“[SV] has definitely grown over the past four years,” senior Landon Young said. “Some areas of the school are too small for all of us to fit. It`s still densed up and packed [especially] in A and B Wing. ”

The school`s population is not only large on a wide-based perspective. Classroom sizes average 30 students, A and C lunches and the hallways are both filled to the brim, and entering and exiting the school before and after school takes months.

“It`s terrible going from the senior dining hall to A-wing,” sophomore Braden Rivera said.

Space for classrooms became so limited that a portable had to be constructed outside in between the rotunda and the newer part of the school in order to fit the throng of students taking ASL.

“[The portable] is not that bad, but you get stuck in the mud on the way over there whenever it rains,” sophomore Sierra Hugos said.

Prospects for the population decreasing won`t be in effect just yet. Students from Pieper Ranch Middle School will be arriving for the next couple of years, at least until the brand new high school is built sometime through the years 2020 and 2022.

“It`s going to be hectic,” freshman Olivia Smith said. “Things will be changing [at SV].”

About the Writer
Daniel Lackey, Staff Writer

Wake up. Eat. School. Band. Eat. Homework. Sleep, not to mention creating stories about our campus. My schedule is a handful, but I try to remain optimistic through it all. If I do have any free time, I love to read, watch critically acclaimed movies and interact with friends and family.