Shootout hopes come to a close

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shootout hopes come to a close

The football team lost a 24-23 shootout last Friday to Midland Lee. A rain cancelation followed against Pfluergerville Hendrickson

Casey Casselberry

Casey Casselberry

Casey Casselberry

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

After an intense an intense 24-23 loss against Midland Lee on Aug. 31, the football team’s hopes for redemption washed out as weather canceled the Pflugerville Hendrickson game on the road Thursday.

Instead, the players look to pick up their first win in front of a homecoming crowd Sept. 14 against Madison.

With the smell of popcorn and hotdogs and the sounds of 9,000 screaming fans Ranger Stadium was the place to be on Aug. 31. The players took the field with the roaring excitement of the Ranger faithful behind them. The season home opener would hold the excitement until the last minutes of play.

The team’s opening drives ended with quick three-and-outs, as both teams battled back and forth for the majority of the first half. Midland put points on the scoreboard first with a 23-yard field goal halfway through the first quarter, leaving the pressure on the Ranger offense led by senior quarterback Levi Williams.

Williams continued to power through the Rebels’ front seven, exchanging yards with every skull-crushing blow to the body and head. The team ended the Rebels’ hopes of a touchdown before the halftime whistle as senior cornerback Nick Akin came up with a crucial stop on third and 7, putting the Rebels out of scoring range. This resulted in a halftime score with the Rangers trailing 3-0.

The team continued to put pressure on Lee’s offense as they held the Rebels scoreless throughout the third quarter of play. North Texas kicker commit, Mason Reid, put the team on the scoreboard with a 31-yard field goal late in the third quarter. Both teams  exchanged blows until Lee gained momentum in the early minutes of the fourth quarter. The momentum continued as they piled on a 2-yard rushing touchdown by running back Josh Taylor.

The Rebels continued their march with a quick 96-yard kickoff return touchdown, putting the pressure back on the Ranger offense. The team made consecutive scores throughout the fourth quarter, leaving the score 17-24 with two minutes left to play. Williams pushed the team forward for one last scoring drive with a minute left in the game that led to a 24-23 loss after a missed extra point.

About the Writer
Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

Hi, my name is Wyatt Tomallo. I am a senior and the sports editor for the Valley Ventana. I play lacrosse for the high school.