Serving up to a new year

New culinary teacher, Chef Marucci checks in on students working on a dessert project.

Leslie Juarez

Leslie Juarez, Staff Writer

It’s officially the start of the 2o18- 2019 school year and there have been several changes, from new portable classrooms to new students and staff.

New culinary teacher Margaret Marucci adds to the mix with her new take on cooking.

“Mrs. Marucci teaches in a different style because she has given us simple recipes to do but focuses more on how well we do them,” senior Annabelle Sanchez said. “We have been working on making food for the press box for the staff and numerous others.”

Brownies and cookies are just some of the dishes students cook in the class.

“Mrs. Marucci is doing well as a culinary teacher,” junior Kylie Perez said. “We are currently making food for the homecoming game for the press box. This class can be stressful at times, but it can be fun.”

The class focuses on teaching students how to take initiative in creating dishes and feeling in control in the kitchen, which some consider a valuable life skill.

“We continue to work on skills from last year and sharpening those skills,” Perez said. “I like this class because I grew up cooking with my family. My dad is a caterer. Culinary is fun to do because it doesn’t seem like it’s forced because it’s a class.”

Along with the students, Marucci also has a connection to cooking. Her experience includes cooking for her big family.

“My grandma inspired me,” Marucci said, “I enjoy sharing food with people and feeding people.”

Marucci has taught at Westwood ISD, Palestine and Austin. She compares this culinary job to her previous one.

However, Marucci said, “[Smithson Valley] is much bigger and it has state of the art equipment.”

Despite the stir ups in the culinary department, the students feel positive about the upcoming school year.

About the Contributor
Leslie Juarez, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Leslie Juarez and I'm a junior. I am in Color Guard. I enjoy writing, drawing and hanging out with friends.