Which sign is right?

School symbol causes students confusion

Freshmen Anna Vig and Aleena Fusse hold up two different Ranger symbols in the cafeteria on Sept. 21.

Kylee Bridges, Staff Writer

Games in Ranger Stadium have one thing in common: students holding their “guns up,” waving their school pride in the air as the school song plays.

However, some students hold one finger up and other students hold two fingers up. This might be because at feeder middle school Spring Branch, the school sign was a gun with two fingers, while Smithson Valley Middle’s was a gun sign with just one finger.

So what exactly is Smithson Valley High School’s symbol?

“I thought you used two fingers.” freshman Anna Vig said.

Out of four students, one thought that the Ranger symbol was two fingers. The other three people surveyed thought that just one is used. 

“It is just one finger,” freshman Kailey Fields, from Smithson Valley Middle school, said. “I’m pretty sure I’m right.”

Even sophomores, juniors, and seniors question their knowledge of which sign to use. This is apparent at pep rallies and sport games when the cheerleaders are not in unison when holding up different signs, as well as students in the bleachers. 

“I remember the first day of practice,” Lucy Gray, a freshman and volleyball player, said. “We were all huddled in the middle of the gym about to break for water. Coach said that on the count of three we would break. On three, we all counted and held up our signs. I noticed a bunch of different hand signs go up. I really don’t know who was right.”