Every drop counts

Blood drive sign up ends tomorrow

Get ready to roll up your sleeves and donate during the Oct. 4 blood drive on campus. Sign up before Sept. 28 and get those permission slips signed.

Casey Casselberry

Laney Rendon, Editor-in-Chief

A legitimate excuse to get out of class is something that grabs the attention of any student. A needle in your arm, digging for a vein, might just be the price to pay to do so next Thursday, Oct. 4. for those interested in donating blood.

Tomorrow is the last day to sign up during all lunches. Tables are set up outside the cafeteria and in senior dining hall, where Family and Community Services (FACS) students will have signup sheets and permission slips for donators under 17.

“Last year I believe our number was 152 units of blood,” FACS teacher Tina Olcott said. “That is how many students and the number of people from the community who came to donate.”

About 10 from the community, those who aren’t students, donated last year. Also, instead of two days of three buses from the South Texas Blood and Tissue Center accepting donations, this year has one day with six.

“It’s really important to donate because one donation could save three lives,” senior and FACS student Kaylin Kline said. “It’s a good thing to do and it doesn’t cost you anything.”

The blood drive is hoping for around 300 units this year. Those who donate will be provided with snacks and juice after.

For anyone looking to donate, it’s best to stay hydrated and come well-rested. If you’re 16, you must have parent permission and weigh at least 120 pounds. Anyone 17 or up isn’t required to have parent permission, but must weigh at least 110 pounds. 

About the Writer
Laney Rendon, Editor-in-Chief

Yo, I’m Laney and I’m a senior this year. When I’m not putting in hours at Chick-fil-A, or at UIL for journalism, I can probably be found in the media team classroom, eating, writing or even both at the same time. This year, I’m Editor-in-Chief alongside my best friend. I hope you can enjoy the stories and photos we post on the website. (: