Football tames rival Cougars

The football team stands for the national anthem before the first home game on Aug. 30.

Casey Casselberry

Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

With Ranger Stadium filled, crowd chanting, cheerleaders cheering, the team took to the field. “Every aspect of the game was tense, exciting, and fun in the student section” said senior Jared Walker. The constant“ooo’s and ahh’s” could be heard throughout the game in a hard fought team win, their first of the season.

The varsity football team battled the Canyon Cougars on Friday, which resulted in a 52-33 win for the team as all aspects of the Ranger offense, defense, and special teams were played to perfection. Senior quarterback Levi Williams took to the field setting the team into scoring position throughout the first quarter. He followed through with two consecutive scoring drives late in the first quarter off touchdown runs by juniors Kasen Wells and Jacob Forton. Canyon answered back with 3:46 left in the first quarter tying the game.

The team came continued their pressure heading into the second quarter, as senior receiver Jeremiah Gilliam had the fans on their feet with a 15 yard receiver touchdown off the connection from Williams. The next drive, quarterback Williams marched the team down the field to cap off another scoring drive with a two yard rushing touchdown by senior running back Marc Franco, with nine minutes left in the half. Canyon responded with scores of their own on 3 and 67 yard passing touchdowns from senior quarterback Zavier Perez making the team’s lead 28-19 at halftime.  

The team came out swinging in the second half with big scoring runs from Williams. The senior standout had back to back scoring drives of 20 and 65 yard rushing touchdowns. The team continued their defensive pressure during the third quarter from senior defensive lineman Alfonso Valdez and Will Gibbons. Canyon managed to score once more late in the third quarter off a three yard rushing touchdown.  

In the final quarter, the Rangers continued their demanding lead with scores on offense by Williams and Franco. The team added senior safety, Ethan Sill, on a trick pass play leaving the Cougars secondary scrambled and unprepared as he walked into the end zone on a 14 yard passing touchdown from Williams. The team capped off it’s first win of the season on a 20 yard field goal from junior kicker Joaquin Rodriguez, making the final score 52-33 for the Rangers. The team looks to get ready for East Central following their bye week. The team will take on the Hornets next Friday at 7:30 p.m. at East Central High School.

About the Writer
Wyatt Tomallo, Sports Editor

Hi, my name is Wyatt Tomallo. I am a senior and the sports editor for the Valley Ventana. I play lacrosse for the high school.