Game Preview: Smithson Valley Rangers vs Judson Rockets

Everything you need to know before Friday’s matchup against rival Converse Judson.

The football team roars onto the field before the season opener against Midland Lee on Aug. 31

Nathan Canales

Jackson Posey, Staff Writer

This is it. The day of reckoning. The clash of the titans.

Smithson Valley (2-3, 2-1) and Converse Judson (5-0, 3-0) are on a collision course, hurtling through Texas until the weaker meets his demise. The Rockets and Rangers are at it again, and this time, the stakes are as high as ever. Smithson Valley just wants to stay alive, while Judson looms large in the midst of an undefeated season in which they’ve crushed opponents by a combined score of 223-95. Meanwhile, the Rangers are picking up steam after three straight losses to start out the year. Momentum is building, as they’ve won their last two contests by a comfortable margin of 82-46.

It appears that the Rangers are finally breaking out of their shell. They sleepwalked through showdowns with Madison and Schertz Clemens, losing both despite holding their opponents in the teens in each match. Then came the explosion, as the Rangers dropped 52 on an overmatched Canyon defense. Perhaps not the most impressive win (Canyon is 2-4 on the season), but a confidence-builder nonetheless. The Ranger offense rode the wave into a commanding 30-13 victory over East Central, who had only had one loss up to that point.

Quarterback No.13 Levi Williams has a multitude of weapons who have come on strong recently, with running backs Jacob Forton, Marc Franco, and Darlington Frasch all putting up big numbers, and receivers like Jeremiah Gilliam and Ethan Sill following suit in recent games. 

But everything the Rangers have done up to this point comes to a head on Friday night as they face by far the toughest opponent of the year. Judson has humiliated everyone, and they plan to do so again against their longtime district rivals.

A formidable foe, the Rockets had won four straight against the Rangers prior to last year’s 40-37 overtime victory in Converse, including a 38-24 victory in the 2015 playoffs. Judson has a terrifying offense led by quarterback Mike Chandler II (39/982/11), who has been able to dominate with an 11:1 TD-Int ratio despite a completion percentage that hovers around 50 percent.

Three-star prospect and UTSA commit running back Sincere McCormick (49/525/7) paces the team in every major rushing stat, including his 10.7 yards per attempt. The Rockets are an unstoppable force on offense. Hopefully Smithson Valley – allowing just over 20 points per game – can at least slow them down.

But the Rangers still have to score, and that leads into the second problem with playing Judson, which is their defense. In just five games, the unit has compiled four interceptions, 33 PDs, four fumble recoveries and two defensive touchdowns. Stud defensive tackle DeMarvin Leal, a four-star prospect committed to Texas A&M, has ripped apart opposing offensive lines to the tune of 41 tackles, seven TFL, three sacks, nine hurries, and two PDs. He is an unstoppable force, and Smithson Valley will have difficulty working their patented QB draws into as many yards as they have in the past.

But this isn’t just Leal’s defense. inside lineback Kevin Wood (3-star North Texas commit) leads the team with 46 tackles and seven TFLs; and though safety Rashad Wisdom (3-star UTSA commit) has been relatively quiet so far this year, he holds offers from three Division I schools for a reason. He could break out at any moment, and when he does, that will just give big contributors like defensive end Corey Parks more room to work.

This is a loaded defense top-to-bottom, and they have a chance to dominate every opponent once they put it all together, which they seem to have done (only 18 points allowed across their last two matchups.)

This is the biggest test of the year for the Rangers. Show me a high school football team, and I’ll show you a team with less talent than Judson. But desperation does incredible things, and confidence can move mountains. This could be an epic matchup for the ages. You won’t want to miss it.