Controversial topics confronted in indie movie

'Miseducation of Cameron Post' opens discussion about sexuality

Chloe+Grace+Moretz%2C+Sasha+Blane%2C+and+Forrest+Goodluck+star+in+new+indie+film%2C+directed+by+Desiree+Akhavan.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Chloe Grace Moretz, Sasha Blane, and Forrest Goodluck star in new indie film, directed by Desiree Akhavan.

Filmrise/Tribeca Film Festival

Filmrise/Tribeca Film Festival

Filmrise/Tribeca Film Festival

Chloe Presley-Gundaker, Staff Writer

Movie director Desiree Akhavan knows what loneliness feels like as a teenager.

“My life was in New York City but I would sleep in the suburbs and I didn’t know anyone there,” Akhavan said in an interview. “I didn’t have friends and I didn’t have a life, other than watching television and movies.”

The struggles of finding an identity during this turbulent time echo in “The Miseducation of Cameron Post,” her Sundance film released Aug. 3. Since then, Filmrise released the non rated film because of the relevance and enormity of the subject matter.

Chloe Grace Moretz portrays a teen named Cameron, sent to a conversion therapy camp after being “caught” kissing a girl.

The movie not only sheds light on the horrors of conversion therapy camps but provides insight into the mindsets surrounding these taboo topics.

Throughout the movie, two groups emerge: the first comprised of those who believe they did something wrong and feel the need to “cleanse themselves,” and the second group comprised of those forced to be there for a variety of reasons, resulting in resistance to camp directives.

What makes this movie different is Cameron doesn’t necessarily know of which group she is a part, because she doesn’t know whether what she has done is wrong. She switches back and forth, creating the narrative of a girl struggling to find her place and questioning the morality of her beliefs and feelings.

This movie touches on treatments such as shock therapy, talk therapy and aversion therapy while illustrating how people in these camps are treated. It also raises arguments as to whether the camps should exist and the impact they have on the overall well-being.

The film not only addresses topics that are seldom discussed, but it also sets it in a different light by not drawing conclusions about sexuality, gender, and religion. This refreshing outlook creates questions and issues to think about.  This movie is thought provoking, straight-forward, and emotional, and will likely be a favorite movie of all time.

About the Writer
Chloe Presley-Gundaker, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Chloe. I am a sophomore this year, and it is my first year on the media team. I enjoy debate, writing and anything related to psychology....