Volleyball headed to first round of playoffs

While freshman Madi Dennis set up the ball Oct. 19 at home, seniors Ashley Acuna and Tara McLeod get into position in the 3-0 win over San Marcos.

Summer Liscomb

Hudson Murphy, Sports Editor

Sweeping the East Central Hornets 3-0 Friday, volleyball sealed their playoff spot and head into a bidistrict match with Westlake at 5:30 p.m. today at Lehman High School in Kyle.

“Westlake is a state ranked opponent, so we’re going to have to play good defense and block well,” head coach Courtney Patton said. “We’re going to have to mix up our attacking game and get our middles involved by being explosive so we can set the tone for the match.”

With Westlake having one of the most prolific offenses in the state, Patton stressed holding their own on defense for their past practices.

“We spent a lot of time (Monday) working on our defense and being productive on our defense, as Westlake will come at us with a strong offense,” Patton said “We’re gonna have to be able to dig and then swing well out of that. So being productive on our defense was the big push today.”

The Rangers controlled the East Central game by takinghe first win 25-14 followed by a close 25-23 win and finally a 25-17 win.

Big players from Friday’s game included Tanyse Moehrig-Woodard who won the San Antonio Express-News player of the week with an important 12-kill, 16-dig performance in the most crucial game of the season. Other standouts from the game included freshman Maddie Dennis, who set up 37 assists, as well as senior Tara Mcleod, who finished with 13 kills .