For the love of the game

Sophomore on varsity proves worth

Jalen Nutt runs on the field, in hopes of winning a game.

Shannon Armstrong-Nutt

Since birth, sophomore Jalen Nutt felt passionate about sports.

“We remember his first time wearing a football helmet,” his mother, Shannon Armstrong-Nutt said. “It was a size too big for him, and he kept having to adjust it when he was running. He reminded us of a bobble head.”

That was eight years ago. Since then, he never stopped improving his skills and now holds the position of varsity cornerback.

His friend, sophomore Darlington Frash, sees Nutt as a hard worker in all the sports he participates in.

“After a workout, we were on a cool down lap, and he was running,” Frash said. “All of a sudden he cramps up and falls, and he tries to crawl to the field house. He had to jump on one leg for a day or two because he couldn’t walk.”

Along with his own dedication to sports, Nutt stays committed to his teammates, making sure to help them out in every way possible.

“He does a great job interacting with his teammates,” pole-vault coach Doug Ulbricht said. “He is a very team-oriented guy. He does whatever he can to help us improve each and every day.”

Outside of sports, friends describe him as a good friend and talkative person.

“He’s friendly and outgoing, I would say quiet in class, but he’s a pretty social and goofy kid,” coach Alan Hill said.

His passion for football and devotion to his teammates makes him consider his fellow football players as his closest friends.

“We have good team bonding,” Nutt said. “We’re all like brothers.”

As a starter, Jalen plays a difficult role on the field.

“Cornerback is one of the hardest positions on defense,” Ulbricht said. “You have to cover the other teams best receiver, and he does a good job just being a sophomore, considering he plays like a junior or senior.”

Still an underclassmen, Nutt has a lot to live up to. He’s proven he can do just that in his sports and daily life.

“Whether Jalen is on the football field, on the basketball court, or running track, it makes us feel very proud,” Armstrong-Nutt said.