Girls basketball defeats Incarnate Word in season opener Nov. 3

Grell, Garrett lead scorers with 12 each

Casey Casselberry

Senior Alyssa Marin goes up for the layup in a game against Clemens last season.

Hudson Murphy, Sports Editor

The girls basketball team tipped off the season last Saturday when they took down San Antonio Incarnate Word 59-41, securing the first win of the 2018-2019 season.

The girls team finished last season with a second round loss to Austin Westlake and graduated five seniors, including their top two leading scorers Taylor Green and Ashley Adaszczyk. Coming into this season, the team saw big games from senior Brianna Grell and sophomore Trinity Garrett who both put up 12 points.

Tanyse Moehrig, who just wrapped up her season with the volleyball team, contributed eight points in the win.

Incarnate Word came into the game missing their star player from last year, Sophia Ramos, who averaged 22.8 points in her senior year for the last season. The team was one of the best in the state with a 22-8 record last year and made it all the way to the state semifinals/ However, without Ramos, the team struggled in Tuesday’s matchup.

The team will follow this game with the Northside tournament taking place Thursday-Friday, where they will face off against Madison in the tournament opener. Madison currently has an 0-1 record after being defeated by San Antonio Taft 55-29 in their season opener. The opposition for the games on Friday and Saturday will be decided following the result of the game against Madison.