Classic tale with a twist

Theatre will perform modern take on ‘West Side Story’ next week

The theatre department presents West Side Story. Performance dates are Dec. 6-8 at 7p.m. in the auditorium.

Theatre Department

Skylar Butts, Staff Writer

Stories we are familiar with appear on stage every year. The thing the theatre department is always sure of adding a new twist. Last year it was (apocalyptic) “Romeo and Juliet.” This year, it’s a modern take on the well-known classic “West Side Story.”

The 1960s musical is being recreated by theatre department next week, Dec. 6., 7. and 8.

“It’s a great way to make new friends,” freshman Anna Vig said. “We’ve all really bonded. It’s like a family. After a month of hard work and constant practices, the actors have grown really close.”

Auditions took place Sept. 17., and from there a large cast list was composed of students from all grade levels.

“It’s hard work, but it’s rewarding,” Vig said. “Seeing everything come together has been a cool experience.”

The cast has been working for weeks on end, running lines and blaring out solos. Non-cast members have contributed to the cause in addition to the tech-theatre students of all grade levels who have built and painted set pieces and props to aid the actors on stage.   

“The time aspect is hard,” freshman Jackson Posey said. “Normally we would have double the time to put everything together.”

The students and directors only had a four week span to cast, set up and rehearse, while most musicals take approximately 2-3 months to get up and running. Broadway musicals can take up to six months to prepare.

The cast is going to take on some of the most challenging roles in Hollywood, originally filled by some of Hollywood’s biggest stars of that time. Senior Samantha Negrete will be playing Maria, the female lead, originally played by Natalie Wood.

As the date approaches, the cast is working harder and harder to complete last minute touches and tie up loose ends before their first public performance.

“I’m excited to perform it,” Posey said.