Boys basketball prepares for district

Players attempt to strengthen record after preseasons 6-11

Casey Cassleberry

Senior Sean Bolds hopes to continue to put up 15.8 points per game.

Hudson Murphy, Entertainment Editor

Through 17 games the boys basketball have won six of their opening games for the new season. The team has gone without too of their key players, Senior Rex King who is out for the season, and senior Dylan Sinegal who will be returning to the team in the coming weeks. Despite this, the team has performed well in tournaments and put together one of their best seasons in recent memory.

Their improved success can be attributed to contributions from some of the players who have been coached under coach Thornton for all his four years at Smithson Valley. This is Thornton’s first year wear he has been here for all the players high school careers and his first class includes some of their best players. This includes the teams leading scorer senior Sean Bolds who has put up 15.8 points per game, and other senior Bryan Herrera who’s put up 7.4 points per game.

The younger players have also been solid for the team with Junior point guard Austin Kenwisher emerging for the second most points for the team with 10.1 per game. Another junior who’s played his role well is three point specialist Owen Woodard, who broke the team’s record in three pointers in a game during the River City tournament.

The team has played two tournaments thus far, the River City Tournament and  the Georgetown tournament. In these games, the team won three of their five games in the Georgetown tournaments, and in the River city tournament, they won two of their four games. Also the team had their biggest win in school history with a 70-18 win over Austin City.

The team’s district play begins on Tuesday against a strong Schertz Clemens team who are currently 9-6 and are always fighting for the district title. Clemens won every game against the Rangers last season and if the team defeats the buffalos it will be the first time for a long time. The game will be at Clemens for the district opener, and the team will look to fight for the playoffs with a solid performance.